Sneaky Anvil Updates

I’m not sure that this is Sneaky or new or if I am just rather unobservant.

When you are adding imports statements the colouring of the text tells you whether is is valid / you have the right number of dots to get to the right level. So does the colour of the dots I think - white dots are invalid. All purple text is incorrect where as blue then purple is legit.

Still much easier to use autocomplete - which is not new but is amazing!

4 Likes

oooh, hello add_rows

7 Likes

NESTED ALERTS ARE HERE! :ok_hand: (perfecto)

4 Likes

This is the latest update that’s most changed (and simplified) how I approach the UI. Love it!

7 Likes

The auto-generated URLS are great as well :laughing:

Which URLs are you talking about here?

I just published a new test app and the auto-generated URL was somewhere along the lines of “speedy-improbable-monkey.anvil.app” instead of the random string they use to be.

I wonder if they are using the xkcdpass library, I noticed it was installed in the list of packages.

correct-horse-battery-staple.anvil.app :laughing:

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, Anvil has been generating these funny URLs since a long time.

huh, for me its always been gobbledygook. Random string of numbers and letters.

Private URLs are the gobbledygook, public ones (that don’t use a custom domain) are the human readable ones. I think the only change is that new apps default to a public URL instead of a private one, but you can still choose to use a private one.

4 Likes

I had no idea when they did it but there is also a q.page_size() method available which lets you define the number of rows to return

6 Likes

The Tabs in the Beta Editor are now drag and droppable :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

That’s awesome. I was actually going to do a feature request for it :slight_smile:

This is the latest update that’s most changed (and simplified) how I approach the UI. Love it!

wait…does this mean i can open an alert over an alert now?! are there docs on this?

3 Likes

No docs, you just use alerts inside of alerts and it works like you’d expect. They nest nicely, now.

2 Likes

You can now see the branch you are editing without going in to the version history tab

Thank you Anvil!

7 Likes

I have no Idea how long this has been there, but you can print pdf media objects now from anvil code: (opens the browsers print dialogue)

This was quite the revelation for us since we print a lot of pdf files and use several hacks and js libraries for that like: https://printjs.crabbly.com/

Has anyone used this feature before?

EDIT:
We did some tests and ran in to this error sometimes:

6 Likes

Well this looks new - an SQL option and information when adding a data table - Nice!

3 Likes

That appears to be for the Dedicated Plan. But having it in the IDE is certainly handy, for those on that Plan.

3 Likes