Convert Classic theme to new Material Design theme

Loving the new theme :slight_smile:

Don’t suppose there’s an easy way for me to convert my existing Classic theme app to the new Material Design theme is there?

2 Likes

I’m glad you like it! Switching themes is an excellent feature request, so I’m moving it to that section

(Workaround: You can do it by checking two apps out in Git, and copying the theme/ directory wholesale from one to the other…)

5 Likes

I just got around to trying this - it did not go particularly well :slight_smile:

I’m guessing if you’ve built on top of the old theme a fair bit it doesn’t just switch :frowning:

I’ve been meaning to try this, as I built my app on the original material design theme. What problem(s) did you run into while trying to switch?

I did this a while ago with a smaller single-form app of mine just like Meredydd describes. It may not be quite to the scale that you guys might be trying to implement, but I found that it wasn’t all that bad. From what I can remember, some of the elements in my form got moved to other places in the form. These were mostly the buttons in the side panel. Still, I imagine if you’re using custom JS or CSS, you’re going to have a much harder time of it, but from what I can remember, spending 15 or 20 minutes just going through the forms fixed those problems.

This may not be related as I was also separating this particular app from a larger app at the time, but I also remember an issue with my tables. A couple of times I queried a couple tables and they said they couldn’t be found. After removing them from the app and re-importing them, they worked. I also had one table that could be reached, but never added new rows until I did the same to it. I feel like these issues probably weren’t the result of changing the theme because that doesn’t make much sense, but you never know.

Like I said, I didn’t find it too painful. I think the simpler your app is, the easier the transition will be.

1 Like

So I tried doing this tonight and managed to get most of my stuff moved over but the main issue I see is the menu on the right won’t let me put links in it and when I try to put things on that side of the screen it kills the left menu.

Is this some weird issue with converting or any suggestions on how to maybe fix it?

Thanks

This weekend, I got around to converting from the old material design to the new one. Basically just copied/pasted everything from the old app to the new one. Encountered some minor spacing issues with forms components, but otherwise it appears to have worked just fine.

1 Like

I tried giving this another go and I only copied over the theme folder and now I’m missing my header menu along the top, any idea how to fix this so I can still use the new theme?

Updated:

Original: