Introducing The New Anvil Editor

The New Anvil Editor is out of beta!

We’ve made Anvil faster, easier to use, and more powerful than ever. The new Anvil Editor includes many of your most-requested features such as built-in version control and multiple databases. We’ve also given the Editor a complete makeover to give you a cleaner, more intuitive interface for creating your web apps.

Previously the Beta Editor, the new Editor is now the default Anvil Editor. (We will still be supporting the Classic Editor, but it won’t receive any feature updates. Apps created with the Classic Editor will still work in the new Editor and vice versa.)

For full details, read the post on our blog and check out the documentation:

1. Version control and collaboration

Create branches, commit changes, merge contributions and resolve conflicts, all within the Anvil Editor. You can now easily share your work with others, and collaborate on your apps.

2. Multiple databases and deployment environments

Deploy development, staging and production versions of your app on separate URLs with separate databases, Uplinks and more. It’s now easier than ever to build, test and deploy your web apps.

3. Updated App Consoles

Debugging your apps has never been easier. The new App Console allows you to interact directly with your running app via a live Python terminal. Alternatively, launch a Server Console to connect directly to your chosen Python environment on the server. Ideal for prototyping, debugging and exploring custom packages you’ve installed!

4. A More Powerful and Intuitive Interface

The Editor’s interface has had a complete overhaul, making it easier than ever to build web apps. Tabbed editing makes it easy to open multiple forms and modules and switch between them easily. You can also now build in split view to keep your client code and UI design side-by-side. You can also run your apps in split view, so you can build your app and view it running live on the same screen.

5. And much more!

Including…

• Improved app list: Easily see all your apps, sort by name or the date they were last edited. Star your most important apps to keep them at the top of the list.
  • Upgraded code editors: The code editors in Anvil now have better syntax highlighting as well as faster and more powerful autocompletion for all Python, JS, HTML, and CSS files.
  • Static file storage: Use Anvil’s Data Files to attach large datasets, ML models and other files to your app and access them through an intuitive API.
  • Improved app logging: Searching through app logs is faster and more powerful than before. You can now search through your app’s logs using regex and filter by session type and environment.

Share the love

We are excited to share the new Anvil Editor with the world and reach new audiences! We’d really appreciate you sharing Anvil on your favourite social media platforms - we’re active on:

Start building today!

20 Likes

Your continued work and improvements are appreciated. Thank you!

3 Likes

Congrats ! Great job done !
I switch to edit code on t New Editor - I will work only on New one

2 Likes

Good to hear! Is there anything that’s recently new to the New Editor that finally brought it out of Beta or was it just lots of small stuff?

2 Likes

Fine thank you. But is it possible to make a video tutorial of it, because I have difficulties to get used on it. That’s my fault always using the classic version.
A tutorial video should help to quicker understand the use and possibilities of the new version. Thanks.

1 Like

@kempynck.jan I am sure they are working on it, in the mean time keep an eye on the Show and Tell - Anvil Community Forum part of the forum, @nickantonaccio mentioned he wanted to make some video tutorials and was only waiting for this announcement - that the new editor was out of beta so his videos would not become out of date due to beta changes.

1 Like

Fine, fantastic. I look forward.

I like the editor a lot. Thanks to all involved for the great work!

Question: Is there a way to keep the code window on one side and the page on the other when switching between “run” and “edit” and back? I start to - how do you say in english? - squint…

Stuff like this is the main things missing from the new editor. Having more control over the IDE windows would be amazing. Being able to stop the Code Snippets opening automatically, or if in the split view, when I hit run, the split should still be visible in some capacity. Now if only we had a desktop version so I can effectively use my two ultrawides…

Edit: has the code snippet window default behaviour changed? While I was writing this, I was trying to reproduce it and couldn’t