šŸ‘‹ Introduce yourself!

I remember those at my school, just before they got BBC Model Aā€™s inā€¦

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Greg Griffes a computer/EE engineer for 40 years in the aerospace industry. Iā€™ve got many years of C and C++ experience; mostly embedded. I got turned on to Anvil from my son who uses it for quick web solutions and now Iā€™m writing a golf league manager using Anvil.

The golf league manager is a lot more complicated than I thought especially when pairing golf teams and it will require code (rather than drag and drop components) to create the components that I need for that screen. The drag and drop components take up too much room with spacing and separators. Also, I canā€™t (or donā€™t know how to) fill repeating panels with data bindings from multiple tables. Making lists for the panels with for loops is too slow.

Looking forward to learning more about Anvil and contributing to the forum.

7 Likes

Hi, my name is Lars Tuff. Iā€™m a 57 year old teacher from Norway, who has been fiddling around with python for some years now. Currently, Iā€™m taking a python course here in Norway, called ā€˜Python for the real sciencesā€™. I started using anvil just a couple of weeks ago, and i like it very much.

In this course Iā€™m taking, one of the tasks is to implement what we have learned in python to make a simple educational course, stretching from one hour and upwards, where python is used as part of the toolset.

We have to show, through our own coding, how python can be implemented in education. The coding does not have to be especially complex, but these things have to be included:
Calculations using arrays, including vectorized arrays, plotting, function(s) developed by oneself, loops, and reading and writing file data.

I am thinking of using numerical integration in python with numpy, matplotlib.pyplot and sympy to show some of the algorithms for numerical integration, and how they can be implemented by python programming, and visualizing those methods using pyplot.

I have some hobby-level experience in coding with python, and use 3.x for coding. Have experience with standard python, and some experience using python modules, like numpy, pyplot, pandas, some sympy. So far I have developed apps implementing trapezoid rule and Monte Carlo.

My current little challenge with anvil is to return info (in the form of text) from the server code AS WELL AS the graph object, back to the client side forms. I have implemented returning the graph, but how do I at the same time return textual data?

3 Likes

@larstuff: from your server return a dictionary {ā€˜my_text_dataā€™: text_data, ā€˜my_graph_objectā€™: my_go}

In order to keep the purpose of this topic intact Iā€™ll introduce myself as well!

I am Stein Inge Pedersen, a solo-entrepreneur in Stavanger, Norway. I use Anvil for proptech SaaS services and workflow automations.

Check out the webpage of my newest service (Anvil + backend via uplink): https://friendlyq.com
(Note the Anvil app that runs on the webpage in the cell-phone via an iframe)

Feel free to connect with me on linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/stein-inge-pedersen-91481b2/

3 Likes

Hi, Stein Inge.
I managed to do it in another way, I made an accumulating string, adding info, line by line, ending with + ā€œ\nā€, and then put this string into a data table. I gave client side access to that table, and then disabled the textArea. So then I got the text from the datatable into a form variable, and simply assigned the text property of the textArea to the variable.

But Your soultion seems simpler, I agree. After returning that dict to client by assigning a client form dict to it, one could unpack the dict and assign each item to the components. Cool.

I plan to let users ā€˜manipulateā€™ the integrals / graphs so they can enter the domain and number of steps or points (Monte Carlo). Not sure if I want them to enter code for the graph itself (can be translated to code by sympy). Another approach could be for me to save several function expressions into a table an let them choose which ones to manipulate, via a table in the formsā€¦

But now I am working on animating the plots, and need to display mp4 files in the form in some way. I have the mp4 stored in a table, now how to display it in the form, what component to use? Is rich text a possibility?

Hi Iā€™m Joey :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

Iā€™m a Freelance Data & Product Analytics Engineer. Iā€™d like to make apps using Anvil and add it to my portfolio.

If you need help in building a cost effective yet quality modern data stack for your business, please feel free to reach out to me at joey@taleno.digital.

Hereā€™s my website: https://taleno.digital

1 Like

I have been building on anvil since January 2019 and anvil truly changed my life.

Iā€™ve built countless apps and services on anvil, with the main successes being a Legal Tech platform that helped tens of thousands of people secure millions of dollars worth of legal settlements from big companies that screwed then over, and more recently a suite of dapps for Maximus DAO which have processed over $80M of token minting activity for the for the smart contracts I built in solidity.

On my YouTube channel, https://youtube.com/@DipCatcher I frequently live stream while building products on anvil and the viewers love watching the process. This has inspired some people from my audience to learn python with anvil.

I love anvil because it is truly magical and unleashes the creative power that every person naturally has within them.

10 Likes

Hello everyone, Iā€™m Renu Sankhla.

Iā€™m a second-year undergraduate student at the Indian Institute of Technology in Jodhpur, where Iā€™m pursuing a B.Tech in artificial intelligence and data science.

6 Likes

Hi people. I new. :grinning: :smiling_face:
My name is Maria. I live and work in Washington.
I am a web designer for a company that creates time tracker software.

I want use Anvil to automate workflows
Thanks for the great work. :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Hi everybody,
Iā€™m Bob and live in The Netherlands. I am a (long) retired telecom engineer from the space industry. I cut my teeth on Algol 60 (back in the 60ā€™s), but hadnā€™t done any programming for quite a few years before I retired. I taught myself a little bit of Python a few years ago, more for the mental exercise than anything and then picked up the Raspberry Pi and Arduino. I play around with various fairly simple projects and very recently came across Anvil in connection with the impressive (and very cheap) Raspberry Pi Pico W microcontroller. The Pico W uplink is nice and easy to use and I think Anvil is a great product.
I have just built a simple Anvil app to take the outputs (temperature, relative humidity and atmospheric pressure) from a BME280 sensor attached to the Pico. The data are plotted in the app and also returned to the Pico for text display on a two-line LCD. It all works well and I am very impressed with Anvil and its user interface.
I have a couple of questions:

• the plots autoscale and until the data values have developed enough ā€œy-axis variationā€ the plots are very noisy. Is there an easy way to fix the y-axis ranges?
  • my link to Anvil drops out fairly often even though my wifi link is quite strong. Any thoughts?
    Iā€™m looking forward to learning more about Anvil.
5 Likes

Welcome to the Forum!

So that others can easily find the answers, we encourage folks to create each distinct question as its own Q&A topic.

1 Like

Thanks. I will do that.
Bob

Hi there,

I wear many hats but I am essentially the Chief Product Officer at my startup.

I have a Matlab and Python (data science) background and right now, my AI startup is in the middle of building and testing our first MVP product. Specifically, we are building the MVP to cheaply and quickly iterate towards Product Market Fit by testing UX and product features with real users. This will help us to determine whether our product is delightful to use, solves real world user pain points, and creates social and business value to our (hopefully passionate!) community of users, before we invest in a so-called ā€œproductionā€ build of the product for the scale-up phase of our business.

I have about 4 years of experience with Matlab, 4 years of experience with Python, about 18 months of experience with Streamlit, and limited HTML/CSS/ Javascript experience. I am interested in using Material UI design (Google/ MUI/ Boostrap 5 etc.) as ways to improve the UX for our MVP users. In terms of other web-development frame works, I am most interested in Flask/ Jinja2 and Svelte and have been doing some learning around those.

Iā€™m interested in exploring what is possible with Anvil in parallel with my current MVP build using Streamlit. I am building the client (front-end) while our ML and network engineers are building the server-side (backend) in AWS. Ideally we deploy the front-end in AWS to be consistent with the backend but this isnā€™t strict since there are many front-end deployment options available.

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

Welcome to Anvil, where we all try to stay away from HTML, CSS, Javascript, MUI, Boostrap 5, Flask, Jinja2 and Svelte. And AWS.
:partying_face:

4 Likes

Ha indeed :smile: It looks as though Anvil is hugely customisable with some potentially great solutions for auth, database mgt, theming, solid components, and deployment out of the box, and all in Python. Keen to see whatā€™s possible.

2 Likes

Hi,
Iā€™m Tobi, an environmental educator based in Freiburg, Germany.
I am currently using anvil for a personal project simulating what happens to our energy system as we add more renewable energy and storage.
As a hobbyist & energy geek, I love the fact that anvil allows me to use the same language for everything from MCUs to web development.
And the community here is awesome!

5 Likes

Hi there,

My name is Mitch. I am from the Southern side of Africa. In the vibing country of South Africa. I am based in Johannesburg, Gauteng. I am more or less recent to the Anvil platform and Iā€™m getting to grips with creating awesome solutions that might provide benefit to someone, somewhere. So far Anvil has been awesome, thoroughly enjoying going through the experience and learning what the platform is capable of. At the moment I am working on a Capital Expenditure project that hopefully will provide benefit and automation to a process that generally is still quite manual in nature.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m Matteo, (@naufraghi on most socials), from Italy. Iā€™m a software developer, mostly C++ and Python but also Rust. Iā€™m using Anvil to create small applications, because it is the easiest solution to share a working application with a good set of integrated features.

Iā€™d love a contributor tier, because I use Anvil not enough to justify 13ā‚¬/month, but Iā€™d love to give back something.

2 Likes

Hello Anvil Community !!

I have recently discovered Anvil website and product and like what I see.

I have attempted to put together my first app, with some success, but may need some assistance.

I will post my questions to the Community Forum and see what happens.

I have put out a post requesting paid help on my first Anvil project ā€¦ still in a pending state.

Anywaysā€¦ Hello to the Anvil Community ā€¦ I am glad your here.

Regards,
George

1 Like

Hello All,

My name is Gemy Forson from Indonesia.
I am quite new in Anvil Platform.
At the moment I am interested very much on Data Analysis and try my best
to create web apps with Anvil.

Cheers
Gemy

1 Like