📢 Anvil X: Build Tableau Extensions with Anvil

Hi everyone!

If you’re in the data and analytics business, you’ve probably heard of Tableau. It’s a dashboarding and data visualisation tool that’s incredibly popular in the corporate world. The problem? Dashboards are read-only - they can tell you what you’re looking at, but you can’t take action.

There’s something called Tableau Extensions, which let you add interactive code to a Tableau dashboard. Unfortunately for data analysts, this is basically a web app - building an extension requires HTML and CSS and Javascript and I think you know where I’m going here…

Introducing:

Today we’re launching Anvil X – an Anvil add-on that makes it super slick to build Tableau extensions with Anvil, entirely in Python. How slick? Check out a tutorial! Perhaps take a look at the “Chat” tutorial, which lets you annotate data points and collaborate right inside your dashboard:

Read the full announcement

You can find out more in our announcement blog post. And if that doesn’t slake your thirst for knowledge, why not check out the Anvil X docs?

Can I use it?

Yes! Everyone can use Anvil X, even on the Free plan, for up to 10 Tableau viewers (and as many developers as you like using Tableau Desktop). Just choose “Tableau Extension” next time you’re creating an app.

If you want to scale up within your organisation, with more folks using your dashboards, and you’re on a Business Plan or higher, you can purchase extra viewer seats for a monthly fee. (See details on Anvil X pricing.)

Get Started

Why not dig in?

• Check out our quickstart guide to learn how to create an app that can be used as a Tableau extension.

• Check out some chunkier tutorials, including some real-world use cases.

• Read the documentation to get all the details.

Some thank-yous

This launch was, of course, made possible by the whole team. Particular props go to @Brooke, @Patricia and @Ryan, for the enormous amount of explanations, website material and documentation required for Anvil X, and to @char for making it easy to drive. Integrating Tableau is a complex beast. We’re really proud how much easier we’ve made it to connect the two platforms together, but it still takes a fair bit of explaining.

A special shout-out to @danbolinson - not only is he an awesome Anvil User Group host, but he and his team at Baker Tilly have also been working with us as we developed Anvil X. They’ve been using it in the wild, on big customer engagements, and it’s changed the game for them. They’ve even developed an open-source library, called trexjacket, to make it easier to work with Tableau’s Extensions API. In fact, we’re trying something new – we’ve partnered with Baker Tilly as our service provider for Anvil X, and we’ll be out there marketing and selling it together in the corporate world.

13 Likes

This is very cool! I know that Tableau and data analytics is huge right now, hopefully this brings a whole new class of Anvil customers.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of it. I will investigate …

I see what the tease was all about in the User Group Event :smirk:

3 Likes

Awesome as always :slight_smile:

I know it is time consuming, but i do really appreciate if you could upload video tutorials :see_no_evil: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure how helpful it will be for your purpose, but I did notice a BT promo video here:

1 Like

:smiley: well this just got interesting - Looks like it is time for a new build !!!

This is amazing and opens so many new possibilities! Will there possibly be a Power BI extension in the future?

4 Likes

I agree with @stevenwu_n. I have several use cases and can see this being an EXTREMELY exciting ability for within power bi. We would like to use it in a power bi app that houses reports and allows for web pages to be shown within the app - ie an anvil app. this is not to be mistaken with power apps as that is doable as well but not even remotely as capable as your app. This would be a game changer and we are handling python a different way currently that is much more burdensome.

1 Like