Anvil Documentation Suggestions [ON-GOING]

The section on adding files to Assets: Anvil Docs | Themes and Styling

should mention that most asset files are lazily loaded, as per: Where to store rarely used Javascript/CSS? - #11

2 Likes

AWS Lightsail

su root -->not work

should be

sudo su
2 Likes

As per this post - it would be good to show that the Image module is Client side.

Use PIL for server side.

2 Likes

Searching for “label” brings up a load of results (see piccie below), not one of which is obviously the docs for the label component :slight_smile:

Turns out the second one does take you there, you just wouldn’t know it from the result heading.

I think it would be more logical to show the component result first for a single word search like that. Or make it obvious which result goes to the component definition and not some other demo or walkthrough. Or at least give the result a meaningful header :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree, the best fit is often missing in the search results and even if it’s there, it’s difficult to recognize.
Another thing about the search results that I don’t like is that if I click on one result and then go back, I don’t see the search result. I need to repeat the search so I can click on the next result.
Another thing I don’t like is that pages from the API documentation are often (always?) missing.

I usually give it one shot, and if I don’t see what I’m looking for at the top, I immediately switch to Google.

I like the results of label site:anvil.works in Google better than the search results of label inside Anvil.

EDIT
I just successfully used Google again with this search terms: site:anvil.works included modules.
Searching in the docs for included modules doesn’t find the correct page, Google shows it in the second place.

3 Likes

The documentation should indicate that anvil.users.AuthenticationFailed() (and maybe other exceptions?) requires a parameter.

Otherwise it raises:
TypeError: __init__() missing 1 required positional argument: 'error_obj'

Example app: Anvil | Login

2 Likes
1 Like

Please document that DatePicker has methods. focus() does not show up in autocomplete, nor the documentation, but it’s there.

1 Like

This applies to quite a few parameters, including background, foreground, and border.

2 Likes

Typo on page Anvil Docs | anvil :

3 Likes

Missing argument on page Anvil Docs | anvil :

2 Likes

Searching for set_page from the documentation page finds 15 pages that don’t contain the word set_page.

Searching for site:anvil.works/docs set_page with Google does a better job and returns the only page that actually contain set_page.

3 Likes

I think the methods outlined in this docs section (as below) is may be missing from the API reference

GoogleMap.InfoWindow

Display a popup on the map at a particular position.

Properties

• position: GoogleMap.LatLng - Specifies the position of the popup. Not required if this popup is anchored to a component (see the open method, below).
  • content: anvil.Component | string - The content of the popup. Can be a string, or an Anvil Component.

Methods

• open(map, [anchor]) - Display this InfoWindow on the specified map. If anchor is specified, the InfoWindow does not need to have its own position property set.
  • close() - Hide this InfoWindow. The user can also cause this to happen by clicking the close button in the top-right of the popup.

Also please could I request this thread be pinned so it can be found easily (and yes I also now have it as a bookmark :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

The example code here seems wonky to me:

@anvil.server.callable
def login_with_password(username, password):
  user = app_tables.users.get(username=username)
  if user is not None and \
       bcrypt.hashpw(password, user['password_hash']).decode() == user['password_hash']:
    anvil.users.force_login(user)
    return user

Shouldn’t it be something like:

import bcrypt

@anvil.server.callable
def login_with_password(username, password):
  user = app_tables.users.get(email=username)
  if (user is not None) and \
       bcrypt.checkpw(password.encode('utf-8'), user['password_hash'].encode('utf-8')):
    anvil.users.force_login(user)
    return user
  else:
    return None

Please could the docs include something on session_id as per this post

1 Like
3 Likes

More Documentation on PDFRenderer

I was looking to reduce the pdf size generated by PDFRenderer and went to the docs! The quality optional argument looks like the worker for the job, but I am sure what the acceptable options are, based off of the docs. I found a couple of post showing different quality options I am trying, but having it explained clearly in the docs would be great!

The other options would be great to get the explanations as well.

Thank you anvil team! :slight_smile:

1 Like

See

1 Like