A semantic search app (for finding good poetry)

I used anvil to serve this app – https://starry-eyed-geometry.anvil.app/ that lets you search for poetry in an open ended way. you just tell it the theme, the vibe, or whatever and it tries to get you the right poems.

Backend is hosted on a digital ocean droplet and uses sentence embeddings for storing the vectors and NGT to do a Approximate nearest neighbor look up.

This is my first ever app that has a UI.
I’d love feedback.

9 Likes

Welcome to Anvil!

Here is some feedback:

1. Love the name “Mood Muse.”
  2. Runs really quick and smooth.
  3. Instructions are clear, implementation is simple for the user.
  4. I would look into separating your instructions and tool visually. There are tons of ways to do this: Background, Tabs, ect.
  5. I would create a form template for each found poem and then have those stand out more. Give some formatting to the font, url, author, body.
1 Like

Thank you! I am not entirely sure how to do the visual changes you recommend. I tried using the repeating panels thing but couldn’t get it to work. It would be useful to have examples i could copy from. most of the apps i have seen so far are pretty different. I am trying to figure some of these out. especially better display.

For a repeating panel example, have you looked at this one?

One piece of feedback: The “give me poems” placeholder text in your textbox looked like an example I could try, so I was surprised when I was instead told “Not a valid query.” But then I realized it was just a placeholder and added my own query. The text color turned a lighter shade than the placeholder text had been, which seems backward.

2 Likes

interesting how do i change this?

I would read the docs on configuring your components

Anvil Docs | Creating your UI

Color can be changed in the foreground/background in the configuration panel.

1 Like

Which theme are you using? I’m surprised that those would be the default colors for text vs placeholder text.

1 Like

the default theme. I also want to add links to lables but can’t figure out how to

In Anvil, it’s the other way around: a Link is a container, so you add things to Links!

1 Like

Alternatively, you can use a RichText component to combine links with other text.

2 Likes

thanks. i have used the above advice to add links