Weird IDE effects

Two new things are happening for me -

1. If I type a comment (eg “# this is a comment”) then I press enter, the new line automatically indents one tab. So if I’m writing a more than a one line comment, I have to go back and remove the indent. This gets a little tiresome after a while.

2. If I’m editing in the middle of a module, with code above and below where I am typing, and I press ENTER, the code above moves up instead of the code underneath moving down, and my cursor stays where it is. This is quite counter intuitive for me.

Anyone else seeing this? If so, does anyone else agree with me that (1) is annoying and (2) is just weird?

I’ve seen this lately, too. It seems to be indenting based on the level expected by the first non-comment line above the comment. Definitely tiresome.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this, too. It’s faintly irritating. Fortunately, we can de-dent entire blocks at a time.

I can’t reproduce this - can you provide steps to reproduce?

We’ll look into this one and see what we can do :slightly_smiling_face:

Whilst trying to record the screen, it stopped happening! It’s been happening for ages (survived several reboots and FF updates). But now, it just suddenly stopped doing it.

Are you sure you haven’t done anything? :slight_smile:

edit - ah, it is still happenning on client side code. Let me try and record it … gonna have to use my phone, nothing else works!

Try this : Video

You can see it happens at first, but then suddenly stops. A few minutes after taking that video, it started again (then stopped again).

Ta.

Thanks for the video.
Is it only firefox? Which OS?
Does it happen always - or only sometimes?

I only use FF (curent version 110.0 64-bit) on Ubuntu 22.04, though the issue has survived at least one FF version upgrade. I will try Chrome shortly (though I rarely use it).

For the original post it seemed like it was happening all the time. Now it is very intermittent when I try to reproduce it on demand. It will do it several times in a row then stop (as shown in the video).

I’d also like to add that it’s hardly a show stopper, just a bit odd and undesirable. I can live with it.

This should now be fixed

3 Likes

It does indeed appear to be fixed. Cheers!

Any luck reproducing the other one?

I couldn’t reproduce it on Firefox, so it’s likely OS/browser specific, which makes it unclear whether it’s a browser bug or something else.
Keep us posted if it becomes more consistent, or magically fixes itself :magic_wand:

And likewise, if you spot any patterns,
e.g. it only happens in certain apps
it only happens in python files (never in html/css/js files)

2 Likes