Simple text analysis

Hi,

I am new to app building, and I just created an anvil app which performs a simple text analysis of a text given by the user. You can check it out at:

Although I am using a free account and hence wasn’t able to use all Python’s libraries (like Pandas and Matplotlib), it was a very nice experience. I loved working with anvil and I am satisfied with the result!

Karin

9 Likes

Love it! Particularly the frequency graph at the end.

Not sure if you’re using NLTK or SpaCy in the back end, but I think the results will be even more interesting if you remove “stopwords” like AND and THE.

Next stop… sentiment analysis?

All the best,
Peter

Thank you, Peter! Actually, I didn’t use either NLTK or SpaCy, I just did it brute force (probably not in a most optimal way). You can check the source code at:

https://anvil.works/build#clone:BI26LVDFGZ3ESRBP=CISZDUOGRYT3VBEN2GYEZSYH

And yes, sentiment analysis did cross my mind…

Kind regards,
Karin

2 Likes

Hi @karincvah,

I like your app. I am still learning…, I am just wondering why did you use global instead of self?

Thank you.

I had some troubles with getting the code to work, also with understanding what I’m supposed to do. I tried several options and when I got it to work I basically left it the way it was. In fact, I’m pretty sure that the code could be improved.

1 Like

I love your app too.

I entered the King James Bible txt file from here.

Fascinating text comparisons there.

How many hours did you find it took you more or less to build this app?
All the best,
martin

Thank you, Martin!

In total it took me three days, but it was my first time to try to build a web app. First I wrote a program in Python, and then I began exploring how to turn it into an app. I tried a few other options before I found Anvil. If I tried to build a new app now (roughly as demanding as the first one), I could do it much faster, of course.

As Peter pointed out, it would also make sense to add further features, like remove stop words etc. At the moment I left it as it is, so that it can also be used to analyse texts in other languages.

That is really interesting.

I’m working my way towards hopefully playing with some NLP type apps at the moment. So I’ll keep an eye out for your work too. Many thanks for sharing it on the site.

I checked out your linkedin profile and your interest is mostly data science rather than specifcally language?

Best
Martin