Render a Web App as a Native Desktop App

Hi all,

While exploring Meshcentral, I decided to create a guide on how to display a web app as a native desktop app. Although it is possible to install Anvil apps directly using the “Install” button in Chrome, I prefer a more traditional experience.

Feel free to adjust the URL in the guide below to point to your Anvil app instead of Meshcentral. This method offers a familiar, desktop-like interface for web applications, enhancing usability without relying on browser-based installation.

7 Likes

Does that mean it creates some kind of executable installer? Or does the end user have to have npm or node installed.

It creates a installer :slight_smile:

I haven’t tried it on Linux but on MacOS you get the “normal” experience installing a app. You double click on the .dmg file, a window appears saying “drag to applications folder”, done.

On Windows it’s the same, although the installer is very light weight. When you double click on the .exe the installer starts and you get one or two questions in the installer guide, done.

I am still trying out another nodejs package where you can create more sophisticated installer guides, like in Advanced Installer.

Also I am still trying out the code signing part of the executables :slight_smile:

4 Likes