[New Designer] Option to select / cancel adding component

In the old designer, in the sidebar for selecting components there was an option for “Select components”.

It was the default option and was a way of cancel adding a component if you changed your mind.

In the new designer this options does not exist, so if you click in a component type for adding, you HAVE to add that component. No way out. If you change your mind, you still need to add and then delete or undo.

It would be awesome if ESC could cancel the selection of an option, but also add an option to cancel by clicling someplace (for coding in keyboards that doesn’t have an ESC key), like clicking again in the same option or a button to select components or even change the add component to “cancel”.

3 Likes

Does clicking again on the same option not cancel it for you?
That’s the intended behaviour and works as expected for me.

I haven’t tried, but because it’s not intuitive.

1. I consider those buttons command starters, not status togglers.
  2. If they set a status, then you should either have the good old select button so you can stop inserting components, or you should be forced to insert the same component forever.
  3. Whatever the intended behavior is, and considering that it is possible to not insert components, having the ESC key exiting the command / status does make sense.

I work with CAD and similar software, and when I click on the Line command, I keep adding lines until I explicitly get out of that command, with ESC or by starting another command.

Actually, just tried in a browser on PC and it did work. On my tablet, that didn’t work before when I tried (to be fair, last time I tried that was some time ago). Sorry, should’ve tested before posting.

While I did suggest clicking again as a solution, now thinking about it I agree with stefano that it’s not intuitive and think that another option should be at least also be available.
When using the properties / add component as overlays, it’s really not intuitive to click on “add component” and on a specific option to NOT add a component.

I think the option to click again to cancel when the panel is fixed is fine, but I still think ESC should also cancel and maybe another option to select / cancel besides add in the toolbar below when an option is selected:

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that works and we’ll take a look at the behaviour

1 Like

I’d like to chime in here and say that I’d like the ESC key to deselect anything in the designer. To me it seems the easiest, fastest and most logical thing to hit.

It’s kind of like a reset button - just keep hitting it until you are back at a default position.

1 Like

The only “problem” with ESC (not really a problem) is that it doesn’t work if you are not using a physical keyboard and doesn’t have an ESC key. I know that’s a really specific situation, but it would be cool to have ANOTHER option BESIDES ESC.

Genuinely curious - would you be developing without a physical keyboard?

Sometimes I do little hotfixes on-the-go with my tablet or even my phone.
In my phone I usually just do really small quick fixes, but on my tablet I usually work for longer, most of the time with a bluetooth keyboard, but a few times with the virtual keyboard.

1 Like

update: we’ve made some adjustments

• escape should now work as expected
  • clicking add component should also cancel the current creation
4 Likes

It appears to be working as expected and listed! Thank you!

1 Like