IDE Datetime column editor (Data Tables) show/adjust local time zone

I can see the UTC time without clicking on a data cell. But I’m not in UTC, and for reliable entry, I really should be seeing and entering times, using the IDE, in my local zone, or a customer’s zone.

1. The browser knows what zone I’m in, so it could show me the time (and date) adjusted for that.
  2. “Explicit is better than implicit”, so it should be abundantly clear (displayed) which zone it’s using for translation.
  3. If that’s not the zone I need to use for data-entry purposes, then I should be able to adjust that zone, before entering the datetime.

Example: I’m entering a “will shut down” time for my app (e.g., so that users will log off before maintenance starts). Say that’s 3am my time. Is that 5 hours different, or 4? Do I add or subtract? Did daylight saving time add another hour? Or subtract one? Does that mean entering a different date?

Any of those questions can and will be answered incorrectly, a good fraction of the time, if we continue to require manual adjustments in the datetime-picker.

Note that this does not require that the datetime be stored or listed differently than it is now. This solely concerns the data-entry widget.

Yes, this is definitely something you should be able to do. I’ve added it to the list!