[Fixed] ExternalError: TypeError: Right-hand side of 'instanceof' is not an object

Yesterday I ran my app with no issues and when I woke up this morning and ran the exact same code I started getting the following error:

ExternalError: TypeError: Right-hand side of ‘instanceof’ is not an object

It always occurs on a line where I am trying to assign the contents of a Plotly figure, and it doesn’t matter what value I’m trying to assign, e.g.:

self.plot_1.figure = None

or

self.plot_1.figure = {}

or

self.plot_1.figure = {'data': ..., 'layout': ...}

What I’m trying to do:
Display a plot

What I’ve tried and what’s not working:

• Cloning the app
  • Creating a copy of the page
  • Assigning different values to the .figure attribute

Code Sample:

self.plot_1.figure = {} 

Clone link:
Unfortunately, I’m not able to share a copy of the app and this behavior is not reproducible in a new app - it works as expected in a new app.

Please advise. Thank you!

thanks @npschafer, a fix will be shipped imminently

edit:
This should now be fixed

Thank you @stucork! I can confirm that it is working now even without an import anvil.util. I had a sneaking suspicion that it might have something to do with a missing import, but anvil.util was not being explicitly used anywhere in the code. Are there other silently used modules that I should be aware of @stucork ? I have a tendency to remove (seemingly) unused import statements, and I don’t want to end up shooting myself in the foot again.

Thanks for the quick reply and fix!

After more investigation we found that the error would only have occurred for users that didn’t have import plotly.graph_objects as go before using a Plot.

This line gets added whenever you add a plot to the page using the drag and drop designer.

The line can safely be removed if you don’t use the graph_objects module. But that’s why it was missed in our tests.

The graph_objects module imports anvil.util Source code is available at the open source runtime on GitHub.