Customizable Display Tags for Linked Tables

I’d like to propose an enhancement for Anvil’s handling of linked tables, specifically regarding the display of linked data. Presently, when linking tables, the displayed tag in a column is fixed to show a default identifier, typically a primary key from the linked table. While functional, this approach has limitations in terms of readability and user-friendliness.

Proposed Feature: The ability to customize what is displayed in the tag of a linked table. This feature would allow users to select which columns from the linked table are shown in the tag, enabling a more descriptive and informative display.

Use Case Example: Consider a Contact table with columns such as contact_id, first_name, last_name, email, and phone. Currently, the linked table tag might only show contact_id, which isn’t very descriptive at a glance. With the proposed feature, users could configure the tag to display a concatenated value, like first_name + last_name. This change would significantly enhance the usability of the interface by allowing users to see more meaningful data directly.

Benefits:

• Improved Clarity: Displaying more descriptive tags makes it easier to understand linked data at a glance.
  • Enhanced Customization: Allows users to tailor the display to suit their specific needs, enhancing the overall user experience.
  • Increased Efficiency: Reduces the need to cross-reference tables to understand linkages, saving time and effort.

I believe this feature would be a valuable addition to Anvil, benefiting a wide range of applications that rely on linked tables for data management.

Thank you for considering this suggestion. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and any further improvements that could be made to this idea.

3 Likes

Perhaps even more important, it would let the developer see a value that uniquely identifies the target row.

1 Like