Create, Add, or Update Data Table from CSV

I feel like this is such a basic feature, I’m just missing where it is?

I’ve seen lots of people writing manual code for this on the forums…

If not, just add a new icon/s in the Data view, next to the download csv button:
table

Just to be more explicit I want:

1. A way to create a new table from CSV
  2. A way to append new rows to an existing table from CSV
  3. Replace all existing data in an existing table from CSV

No, I don’t want to write manual code for this, so please don’t suggest it.

Looks like someone already did a bunch of heavy lifting that the anvil team could use:

This is just a guess, but it’s possible the Anvil team don’t want to make it that easy to use the free Anvil resources as a personal cloud database.

(I say this as someone who also tried to provide an easy way for beginners to do it: Colab notebook for uploading CSV or Excel The one you linked to is probably better, though.)

The instructions do ask you very nicely to not be a jerk about abusing the free resources :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, it is quite hard to hit the limit, but if you are ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ out and out abusing the free resources, they are running some kind of software that notices and squashes the running thread.

It must be really good at spotting it though, because I used the free version for over a year before I got to pay for it and never ran into the same problem in a real world use case.

1 Like

To be clear, I wasn’t at all criticizing your super helpful example app. I hope that helps lots of people. (And I support this feature request.) I was just speculating about why Anvil staff might choose not to direct their own limited resources toward this, toward prioritizing this feature request.

No worries, I didn’t take it that way! Actually after I posted that I re-read it and what I wrote does sound more defensive than helpful. :crazy_face:

1 Like