[Beta] How do dependencies work in with the new environments?

I created a new App1 and defined three environments:

Then I created a new App2, added App1 as dependency and Anvil asked me to pick Published or Development:

What does it mean?
What are Published and Development?

I did some tests and it seems to ignore branches other than master and development or any environments:

• The Published version uses the published branch if it exists, otherwise the maser branch.
  • The Development version uses the master branch

I tried creating environments in the dependency app or branches with other names, and they all are ignored.

I hope this is temporary and the dependency versions will eventually learn to speak the new environments.

Yes it’s definitely temporary. Using branches in dependencies will be arriving in the Beta soon :slightly_smiling_face: .

5 Likes

Does anyone know if this has been fixed in the Beta?

You cannot yet depend on specific branches (other than published and master, as described above), but you can depend on version tags. You just can’t create those tags through the IDE yet, you have to clone the git repo to your machine, add the tags, and then push back to Anvil.

Edit: the Anvil IDE now allows you to add tags. Right click on a specific commit and you can tag it.

3 Likes