Anvil app server on Azure VM - not responding

What I’m trying to do: I am trying to run my app using the anvil app server on an Azure VM, Ubuntu 20.04.2, 0.5GB ram, pretty much mirroring the steps from Ryan’s instructions

What I’ve tried and what’s not working: I’ve got to the point of launching the app server, I receive the on screen message of “Found Anvil App Server JAR in package directory”. It freezes for some time, and then nothing else happens. The command line then returns. I presume there should be a message saying something along the lines of server started?

Is there some way of pulling log files from somewhere to debug?

I’ve tried a few more attempts to get working, including the various methods of ensuring port 443 is open at a root level but I’m still just getting the “Found Anvil App Server JAR in package directory” message and then the command line returns, with no sign of web serve starting.

I’ve tried to diagnose the issue with this previous forum post:

but to no avail.

Any other tips as to how to diagnose/find log files?

thanks in advance, starting to drive me insane!

I would try using a VM with more RAM just to test it. I’m thinking (I could be wrong), that 0.5GB might be enough to run the app but not launch it.

thanks for the advice. I now am much further down the line. i have successfully managed to install on AWS LightSail. My next issue is that when I launch the anvil-app-server, it runs through the commands but hangs at the “Downlink authenticated OK” point

Any experience in resolving this?

Thanks in advance!

Not really. My issues were all related to app configuration. One thing I did do was delete the data directory on subsequent launches so I have some confidence it was starting “fresh”. But be careful as there may be important files in that directory you might want to back up first.