What counts against email quota?

Hello.

After realizing that, when an incoming message is addressed to multiple “to” addresses at @myapp.anvil.app, the decorator @anvil.email.handle_message() feeds a separate copy of the message for each “to” address to my message handling function, I started wondering exactly what counts toward my email quota, and I couldn’t find the answer in the docs or here on the forum.

If Incoming email messages do count toward my email quota, then does Anvil.Works count a message addressed to multiple “to” addresses at @myapp.anvil.app as one message, or does it count the message once for each “to” address?

If an Outgoing message has multiple addressees listed in the To: field, the CC: field, and the BCC: field, then does Anvil.Works count it as a single message, as three messages, or as one message for each addressee?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t actually know but I would guess it was just 1 ingress/egress. Meaning you send one message through the server with multiple “to:”'s it is just one email, routed to multiple email addresses in the global email system, like it always has been.

I would think receiving an email is the same way, the internet sends Anvil one email message since it is the same message addressed to multiple people at that domain (anvil), and then expects the anvil email server to go the “last mile” and send one copy to each of the addresses within its own email server.

Thank you Ian.

Your guess is the same as mine, but I am still hoping for a definitive answer from the Anvil team.

Hello @tomherden,

Incoming messages do not count towards quota. Outgoing messages use one quota message for every addressee in the To, CC, BCC fields.

4 Likes

Thank you @Ryan – I very much appreciate having certainty on this point.

(I’m working on an app that will send out one message to multiple recipients every weekday, informing subscribers whether certain weather-dependent government services for homeless persons will be available that night. Before offering it to members of my community for free – or starting work on other, similar subscription notification services that I have in mind – I really needed to determine how many different messages – or, as I now understand, subscribers – my Personal Plan can support.)