Username/email pops into the IDE search bar

Anyone else experiencing their username/email suddenly appearing in the IDE search bar seemingly randomly. A potential bug?

1 Like

Aha! What browser are you using, and/or are you using any password manager extensions?

(This issue happens when a browser or password manager mistakenly identifies the search box as a login box. We’re playing “whack-a-mole” trying to persuade all the major browsers/extensions to leave it alone, so the more info you can give us, the better!)

1 Like

@meredydd That makes sense. I’m using google chrome version 72.0.3626.96 and just the built-in password management that chrome provides. It’s not a huge issue, just thought I’d let you know about it.

It’s been happening to me today with Chrome 72.0.3626.109, just using Google’s password manager.

Background to this: Chrome ignores all the standard ways of saying “don’t autofill this textbox”, because site owners were using them to defeat the “remember my password” feature, and Google decided that overriding that decision was a net positive for security. (Probably true!)

However, this means that anything that Chrome guesses is a login box gets the autofill treatment, and it’s an ongoing battle to dissuade it. I’m going to try using a larger spray bottle this time; let’s see what happens. This change should go live tomorrow.

3 Likes

Okay, after much experimentation, I have now applied an even larger spray bottle to Chrome. (It’s getting more aggressive – it had started jamming email addresses into hidden fields in background modals!) Please let me know if you spot anywhere else it’s sticking your email address…

Thanks for the spray bottle! It is working. I’ll let you know if the issue comes up again.

Gotta get it off the furniture somehow…

It is still showing up in the IDE search bar for me.

In addition, in the “container properties” section some of the fields are light blue and if I click into them Chrome gives me a popup to add saved emails/passwords. It is not auto populating though, which is good.

In case people still have this problem:

I had this problem last week. Chrome automatically filled in a function for events when I dragged a component on the screen in the designer. The problem was solved by going to ‘administer passwords’ in chrome and deleting the anvil listing.

Details: I had two anvil listings in Chrome’s password organizer. The one that logged me into anvil was no problem. However, there was a second one - and deleting it solved the issue. So far!

1 Like