The Future of Anvil Community Packages

For me, the most important point of these is the ability to pin a dependency version. It’s been mentioned before and I believe it’s in the pipeline.

There’s one big difference between what you’re describing and the example at flutter: the flutter favourites are curated. You can’t just write something and publish it to that list.

So, one question for me is: who are the curators for this? Anvil? Some subset of the community? Nobody?

Only by answering that do I think this can move forward as everything else hangs on it.

Just in case I sound too negative - these are great ideas and certainly an area where improvement is possible. It’s why I created anvil-extras in preference to the component library.

Some observations…

If anvil curate the library, they become a bottleneck. That’s exactly what happened with the component library.

@stucork and I aren’t exactly overwhelmed with offers of help. We’re in danger of becoming the next bottleneck. (I perhaps already am).

In the end, to do this properly, somebody needs to fund it. I’m doing enough for free already. It won’t be me.

9 Likes