Stuck on Hello World!

I’m attempting to go through the Hello, World tutorial, but I’m stuck at the same place each time (I’ve attempted this 3 times now).

I’m following the instructions until the “double-click on the button” instruction … which I do, and then I get taken to a page of python. At this point, the tutorial step doesn’t change, and I’m left with a blinking cursor at a ‘name_box’ method.

I guess I have two questions:

• Why is the method called ‘name_box’? The button is called ‘button_1’ - it’s the text field that’s called ‘name_box’.
  • Why doesn’t the tutorial step update?

I think the second question is probably related to the first :slight_smile: - but I can’t for the life of me work out what I’ve done wrong. I’m definitely clicking on the button, and everything’s made sense up until this point. I’ve included a screenshot which I think sums everything up.

Thanks for reading!

Huh. I’ve just left the tutorial and followed my instincts with a clean slate. I purposely named the text field my_name_field this time … but the generated button event handler method is still called name_field … intriguing!

So:

• I still don’t know why the event handler is being generated with this name.
  • The tutorial doesn’t work for me :sob: - or maybe I’ve misunderstood what I was supposed to do!

Please see this image, chaning the name in the box will change the function

2 Likes

Hey Tony - thanks for the help!

That explains why the method has a weird name - although I still don’t understand why it defaults to name_box :thinking: - any idea why the tutorial isn’t moving on at the point I double click the button?

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

To change the name of the function, you need to change the name in the box and click the button next to it. Double clicking the button doesn’t work even though you change its name

I got the very issue when starting learning anvil

Yes, thanks for your earlier reply - I’ve successfully changed the method name.

I can’t get the tutorial to continue.

This sounds like a bug to me. The auto generated event names should not be as you see them and the tutorial should not be stuck.

One of the devs will see this and look into it.

Thanks @alcampopiano!

I recognise that hat! (hello, Judy).

Hi @judy,

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

@alcampopiano’s right that this isn’t the intended behaviour - we’re looking into it for you :slight_smile: