School Lunch Orders

I teach coding at a technical high school. We are a simulated workplace school and as part of that my program delivers software that we write to by used by the school. We are currently using Anvil to write an app where the students can use their phones to let us know if they want lunch for that day. Once done we email their home schools a report and the cafeteria with the number of lunches to deliver. Very grateful to Anvil for the education license

7 Likes

Sounds great! Can you share screenshots? How was the development process?

This is logged as admin on a pc, but the student only sees the form to the right. It allows them to see what’s on the menu and to order their Lunch! I’ll post a screen shot of the admin window used by the office personnel in a separate post. The student form looks great on a phone as well!

2 Likes

The development process was good. I was able to pick it up pretty quickly and I have a Junior that is contributing heavily to the project. I still trying figure out the best way to work together on the same project. It’s not bad with just two of us. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

As promised below is our home screen:

The process is as follows, the Lunch is open at the start of the day. The page is refreshed frequently, so the admin staff can see a real time count of the number of lunches ordered. Once its close to the time to place the order then can check the warning box and if the student is in the app, they’ll see a warning that lunches are about to close. Admin, can the lock the lunches and generate the reports. Student’s can no longer order lunch for the day. It’s important to note since we’re a technical high school we have students from 8 different high schools and we have to report back to them which of their students got lunch, previously a manual process. When the admin staff generates the reports. Each school gets a report emailed to them (in Excel) with the list of students that got lunch and the cafeteria that delivers the lunches gets an email with the total number of lunches to deliver as well as the number of white and chocolate milks!

4 Likes