[Resolved] Announcement: Anvil outage

Anvil is currently experiencing a denial-of-service attack affecting all services and apps. We are working to mitigate the problem and will post updates as we have them.

13 Likes

Nice work getting everything back up.
That was a bad one.

Sounds like some redundancy/failover measures need to be implemented.
Please keep us updated.

The apps are not loading, still.

When I try to run a small app in the IDE, which I last ran a couple of days ago with no problem, it fails to run with message - ‘The connection was reset.’

Everything but custom domains seem to be working again.
Any news when custom domains will be up again?

1 Like

Not yet, but we’re working on it. The denial-of-service attack has not yet reduced, we’re just mitigating the effects right now.

Is the DOS impacting just Anvil or is it more widespread do you know?

It now looks pretty good - seems like custom domains are also working.

Everything seems to be working my side again, including custom domains.

Hi all, thanks for your patience.

Most services are now back, we’re just tidying up some loose ends. Incoming traffic from the denial-of-service attack has not yet reduced at all, so you may experience some intermittent issues connecting to apps via custom domains while the attack continues.

We’ll continue to update this thread as we learn more. I hope you understand that there is only a limited amount of detail we can share publicly about the attack and our mitigation strategies, but we will do our best to strike a sensible balance.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

2 Likes

Good work People, and excellent communication. That is a massive help to me and my customers.

Thank you Anvil team for the prompt resolution. We appreciate all you do.

Well done Anvil Support. Good response to a very challenging situation.

We are still experiencing issues with disconnected uplinks.

If you have a lot of uplinks connecting from the same place, or reconnecting frequently, this may well look like suspicious traffic to the extremely sensitive defences we’ve put in place. For now, you’ll just need to slow down any repeated connections and minimise the number of uplinks connecting at once. This should not affect the total number of uplinks you can have connected.

Thank you @daviesian and Anvil Team, for resolving this issue.

I would imagine it’s very challenging to resolve a DOS attack while it is happening.

It’s just the single uplink, and as far as I can tell I don’t have control over its reconnection attempts. Anyway, the IDE seems to be down for us again as well, now, so I will just keep an eye on this thread for further updates.

Trying to run app in IDE getting: -
‘anvil.server.RuntimeUnavailableError: Server resources not available for ‘python3-full’. If this error persists for more than a few minutes, please contact support@anvil.works.’

Now it doesn’t even get that far - just the ‘spinning wheel of death’

Custom Domains seem to be down again as well.

1 Like