🚀 Ready for a tech adventure? Anvil is hiring!

Want to work at Anvil? We’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Developer to build the platform, and a Developer Advocate with great communication skills to show people how to build awesome things with Anvil.

Senior Software Developer

Full-time (part-time/flexible also available); Cambridge, UK; On-site or hybrid; Visa sponsorship available

We’re looking for an experienced developer to work on the core Anvil platform, with a focus on back-end and systems engineering.

You’ll be building the platform-as-a-service that hosts and deploys our users’ apps, as well as the Anvil Editor they use to write their code, design their UIs, and edit their databases. There’s a lot to Anvil, it’s all under production load – people run businesses on this thing – and you’ll be touching all of it.

We’re looking for a great all-rounder who’s comfortable with a variety of technologies. You’ll have either run things in production before, or have a track record of building cool things. Our stack is mostly Clojure, Javascript, Python, Postgres, and container tools – but the right person won’t be put off by jumping into something you haven’t used before. We’re looking for someone who’s comfortable sitting down and diagnosing pathological database performance (even if you’re working it out from the Postgres manual as you go), or whiteboarding out how we should orchestrate our users’ workloads across our server fleet.

You’ll be working with other seriously good all-rounders, including the founders, senior colleagues, and other developers. It’s a smart team, and all of us care deeply about building interesting technology.

If that sounds like fun, please drop us a line to founders@anvil.works with your CV and a description of something cool you’ve built or have maintained in production.

For more, including more about the company, details from @brooke and @char about what it’s like to work here, and to apply, check out our careers page.

Developer Advocate

Full-time (part-time/flexible also available); Cambridge, UK; On-site or hybrid; Visa sponsorship available

We’re looking for a developer with great communication skills to write how-to guides, blog posts and tutorials, build example apps, present Anvil at conferences, and help our users – from individual developers to huge tech companies – build their applications.

You don’t need to be a Python expert already, but we’ll get you there pretty soon. You’ll be working directly with the founders, platform developers and our other developer advocates to help you get up to speed.

It’s rewarding work - developers love being introduced to Anvil (our booth is always crowded at conferences!). Plus, there are all the advantages of an early-stage startup: you’ll have a lot of autonomy and huge impact, and you’ll shape how we serve all our developers, from how we do outreach to how Anvil works.

For more, including more about the company, details from @brooke and @char about what it’s like to work here, and to apply, check out our careers page.

7 Likes

Now this is motivation to move to England!

4 Likes

I’m seriously tempted every time an opening is announced.

3 Likes

I really considered… If I wasn’t finishing my degree here, I would apply. Shame I can’t be fully remote for the first year :sob:

2 Likes

I wish I wasn’t as thick as a whale omelette …

2 Likes

Also very tempted. Heidi and I have talked before about moving to England for a year (or so) just to help with Anvil. Would really love to help improve the performance of back end. Been thinking about that for a couple of years at least.

2 Likes

Well, there’s an “apply” link right there… :wink:

You wouldn’t be the first American we’ve imported – in fact, you wouldn’t even be the second. We’ve become a dab hand at visa sponsorships!

2 Likes

I’m most tempted by the opportunity to say UK phrases like ‘dab hand’ :sunglasses:

4 Likes

They should add, “will learn fun UK idioms” to their JDs.

Some great ones around here.

1 Like

Don’t worry, we have a Slack channel for our non-British colleagues that successful applicants will have full access to:

Some personal highlights:

6 Likes

Cushty. The mutt’s nuts.

1 Like
4 Likes

This is fantastic! :cook: :pinched_fingers:

…why didn’t we think to build an app for that?

subdomain for sale: british.anvil.app :laughing:

1 Like

…and today I learned about a whole new channel on our company Slack!