Please restore the old App Sessions

Both the list of pages at the bottom and the number of entries on the right of every session have disappeared from the “App Sessions” window.

I had asked to add more info to that window and make it easier to navigate and skip many pages by simply increasing the number of page buttons from 5 to 20 (can’t find that post now). Instead:

• No more page buttons, so I don’t know how far back I am looking at
  • No more page buttons, so I can’t skip 3 pages at a time, only 1 page at a time
  • I don’t know how many entries are on each session

I understand if you have other priorities and don’t have time to address my requests, but please don’t invest time to work against them :cry:

The “App Session” window should:

• Be faster
  • Allow to skip to a point in time - often I have an email with a timestamp telling me that something happened at a certain time and I want to skip the log to that time - Last week I was able to click 100 times and skip 3 pages at a time, now I need to click 300 times and skip one page at a time
  • Ask the number of rows per page, just like the data table views
  • Show the number of entries in the session, just like it used to - this is often enough to spot the log entry I am interested on
  • Show the first line of the log - that’s way more interesting than the session id
  • Show the spinner while it updates
  • Show all the round trips
3 Likes

I can agree with this - I think that apps with a lot of logs logs have gone faster - but like you said a lot of other stuff went missing along the way.

One more thing we are experiencing - when clicking on a background taks to get to its logs we are stuck forever. (the logs are not loadad) → Which is very dangerous since we have a lot of sessions and are thus essentially blind.

-Mark

Or maybe it’s not forever. Maybe they are slowly loading. There used to be a spinner that would tell you that they were still loading, but that’s gone too.

As Anvil has been steadily improving in every other aspect, the logging has been left behind and got worse.

Yeah… I have to agree with this. It just don’t make sense to REMOVE features, unless they were causing other bugs and problems and were removed to fix something. This removal makes the App Session, witch was something useful, into a page were you can look and say “ok, there were app sessions”.

This is the same with the data tables… When you have tables with lots of rows you need to keep clicking “load more” instead of a page where you can go directly to, say, the last page. I think the approach of only showing the next one is always bad for users. :cry:

3 Likes

Hi all,

I promise, we’re listening! What you’re seen is the first stage of a substantial improvement in App Logs, including many of the bullets in @stefano.menci’s feature request.

Unfortunately, we needed to start with a complete replacement of the logging backend, as the old architecture was failing to scale and had become really very slow for some people with lots of sessions and events. This made adding new functionality a non-starter until we’d done the upgrade – and we still need to wait for the old records to drain from the system. Even more unfortunately, things like “how many events are in this session?” and “how many more pages are there?” relied on some of the things that were making it slow - although we do have some ideas for bringing some of this back in more computationally tractable ways, we really did need to ship this update.

TL;DR - Watch this space! App Logs are getting some love :slight_smile:

PS: @mark.breuss, could you post the Background Tasks issue separately please so that we can investigate?

3 Likes

Please add to the list being able to delete logs :slight_smile:

2 Likes