Make README.md editable

The file README.md is added to new apps and it’s opened when clicking on the question mark on the top right of the IDE. The file looks great, contains useful information and links to the documentation, useful especially to the beginners.

1. Please make the file visible on the left on the Client Code tree, and make it editable.

It is not code, but it’s there, together with the code, and if you clone the app, you can see it and edit it on your computer. I clone all my apps to my computer, so I can easily edit their README.md files. But being able to edit it directly from the IDE would make it more useful, for todo lists, notes-to-self or for actual app documentation.

EDIT
(adding to this existing FR rather than creating a new one, because they are closely related and it make sense to address them both at the same time)

1. Show the README.md file when clicking on the question mark on the top right of the IDE.

Changing the behavior of the click on the question mark has no downsides with beginners nor experts, but has advantages with experts: showing the README.md file included in the app is as useful for beginners as showing the standard <app>/help page, because the file and the standard help page are (will be) identical. But anyone experienced enough to edit it, will find being able to see the file from the IDE useful.

3 Likes

I think it’s there primarily for the GitHub integration. And it’s easy to edit at github.com, so I was thinking there’s probably little need to be able to edit it from the Anvil IDE.

I don’t think that’s true. What’s opened when you click on that help button does look a bit like the default README content, but it doesn’t actually change when you change an app’s README. I’m talking about this button:

You are right!
I noticed both the new Help page and the new README.md at the same time, at a glance they looked similar enough that I assumed they were the same.

I don’t use GitHub, but I do use git locally. I do edit the README.md files in PyCharm and I use them as described above.

But I agree that if it is invisible from the IDE and from the app, it is also not that useful make it editable from the IDE.
But then… I don’t even see the need to automatically add it. (But that’s another story.)

1 Like