How to refer to a div in custom html from python and vice-versa

How do I refer to the divs created in a custom html form from the python code and how do I refer to the dragged components in the custom html form from the javascript side?

What am I trying to do?

I want to use dragula javascript library , have two containers (divs called “left” and “right”). I want to populate left (and maybe right) container dynamically with data from the database using the card component called programatically from the python side. User should be able to then drag and drop these cards as they want from left to right and vice-versa (just like the first example in dragula website). Once user is done and hit submit button javascript in custom html will collect the data from right component and anvil.call a function in the form to upload the data to the server.

Sounds like a cool project.

Have you checked out the documentation on using JavaScript with anvil?

The basic premise is that your custom HTML form should have a method. And then you call this method from JavaScript with arguments.

In your custom HTML you can create div elements with ids.
Anvil components don’t have ids so you could add roles which are classes. Or you can create custom components that have ids if you have to target an id.

If you get stuck feel free to post a clone link and we can take a look and see if we can help.

1 Like

Yes thanks for the response. I have looked into the documentation and attempted to work based on that. I am actually generating the id based on a random string so that is not a problem. I have the div elements with the ids also in the custom HTML. The place I am stuck is how can I refer to these div elements from my python code and similarly from the javascript side how do I refer to the anvil built in basic components. For my particular example I have two “left” and “right” div elements. Now I need to populate them from python based on data returned from database. Without being able to refer to them from the python side I am not sure how I can add the components dynamically.

This might be helpful:
https://anvil.works/build#clone:4GNQ5H7I72OU4SDU=JSAVMUYWQA73DNPYFPSGP25Q

here’s the code to create the dragula left and right slots for anvil:

<div id='dragula' anvil-drop-redirect=".drop-here" anvil-drop-default>
  <div class="content" id='left'>
    <div anvil-drop-here anvil-slot-repeat="left" class="anvil-measure-this" ></div>
    <div class="placeholder drop-here" anvil-if-slot-empty="left" anvil-drop-slot="left">drop a component here</div>
  </div>
  <div class="content" id='right'>
    <div anvil-drop-here anvil-slot-repeat="right" class="anvil-measure-this"></div>
    <div class="placeholder drop-here" anvil-if-slot-empty="right" anvil-drop-slot="right">drop a component here</div>
  </div>
</div>

<style>
  #dragula {
    display: grid;
    grid-template-columns: repeat(2, 1fr);
    column-gap: 7px; /*adjust as needed*/
}

#left {
    border: 1px solid red;
  }
  #right {
    border: 1px solid blue;
  }
</style>

<script> /* min js from the dragula documentation*/
  !function(e){if("object"==typeof exports&&"undefined"!=typeof module)module.exports=e();else if("function"==typeof define&&define.amd)define([],e);else{var n;n="undefined"!=typeof window?window:"undefined"!=typeof global?global:"undefined"!=typeof self?self:this,n.dragula=e()}}(function(){return function e(n,t,r){function o(u,c){if(!t[u]){if(!n[u]){var a="function"==typeof require&&require;if(!c&&a)return a(u,!0);if(i)return i(u,!0);var f=new Error("Cannot find module '"+u+"'");throw f.code="MODULE_NOT_FOUND",f}var l=t[u]={exports:{}};n[u][0].call(l.exports,function(e){var t=n[u][1][e];return o(t?t:e)},l,l.exports,e,n,t,r)}return t[u].exports}for(var i="function"==typeof require&&require,u=0;u<r.length;u++)o(r[u]);return o}({1:[function(e,n,t){"use strict";function r(e){var n=u[e];return n?n.lastIndex=0:u[e]=n=new RegExp(c+e+a,"g"),n}function o(e,n){var t=e.className;t.length?r(n).test(t)||(e.className+=" "+n):e.className=n}function i(e,n){e.className=e.className.replace(r(n)," ").trim()}var u={},c="(?:^|\\s)",a="(?:\\s|$)";n.exports={add:o,rm:i}},{}],2:[function(e,n,t){(function(t){"use strict";function r(e,n){function t(e){return-1!==le.containers.indexOf(e)||fe.isContainer(e)}function r(e){var n=e?"remove":"add";o(S,n,"mousedown",O),o(S,n,"mouseup",L)}function c(e){var n=e?"remove":"add";o(S,n,"mousemove",N)}function m(e){var n=e?"remove":"add";w[n](S,"selectstart",C),w[n](S,"click",C)}function h(){r(!0),L({})}function C(e){ce&&e.preventDefault()}function O(e){ne=e.clientX,te=e.clientY;var n=1!==i(e)||e.metaKey||e.ctrlKey;if(!n){var t=e.target,r=T(t);r&&(ce=r,c(),"mousedown"===e.type&&(p(t)?t.focus():e.preventDefault()))}}function N(e){if(ce){if(0===i(e))return void L({});if(void 0===e.clientX||e.clientX!==ne||void 0===e.clientY||e.clientY!==te){if(fe.ignoreInputTextSelection){var n=y("clientX",e),t=y("clientY",e),r=x.elementFromPoint(n,t);if(p(r))return}var o=ce;c(!0),m(),D(),B(o);var a=u(W);Z=y("pageX",e)-a.left,ee=y("pageY",e)-a.top,E.add(ie||W,"gu-transit"),K(),U(e)}}}function T(e){if(!(le.dragging&&J||t(e))){for(var n=e;v(e)&&t(v(e))===!1;){if(fe.invalid(e,n))return;if(e=v(e),!e)return}var r=v(e);if(r&&!fe.invalid(e,n)){var o=fe.moves(e,r,n,g(e));if(o)return{item:e,source:r}}}}function X(e){return!!T(e)}function Y(e){var n=T(e);n&&B(n)}function B(e){$(e.item,e.source)&&(ie=e.item.cloneNode(!0),le.emit("cloned",ie,e.item,"copy")),Q=e.source,W=e.item,re=oe=g(e.item),le.dragging=!0,le.emit("drag",W,Q)}function P(){return!1}function D(){if(le.dragging){var e=ie||W;M(e,v(e))}}function I(){ce=!1,c(!0),m(!0)}function L(e){if(I(),le.dragging){var n=ie||W,t=y("clientX",e),r=y("clientY",e),o=a(J,t,r),i=q(o,t,r);i&&(ie&&fe.copySortSource||!ie||i!==Q)?M(n,i):fe.removeOnSpill?R():A()}}function M(e,n){var t=v(e);ie&&fe.copySortSource&&n===Q&&t.removeChild(W),k(n)?le.emit("cancel",e,Q,Q):le.emit("drop",e,n,Q,oe),j()}function R(){if(le.dragging){var e=ie||W,n=v(e);n&&n.removeChild(e),le.emit(ie?"cancel":"remove",e,n,Q),j()}}function A(e){if(le.dragging){var n=arguments.length>0?e:fe.revertOnSpill,t=ie||W,r=v(t),o=k(r);o===!1&&n&&(ie?r&&r.removeChild(ie):Q.insertBefore(t,re)),o||n?le.emit("cancel",t,Q,Q):le.emit("drop",t,r,Q,oe),j()}}function j(){var e=ie||W;I(),z(),e&&E.rm(e,"gu-transit"),ue&&clearTimeout(ue),le.dragging=!1,ae&&le.emit("out",e,ae,Q),le.emit("dragend",e),Q=W=ie=re=oe=ue=ae=null}function k(e,n){var t;return t=void 0!==n?n:J?oe:g(ie||W),e===Q&&t===re}function q(e,n,r){function o(){var o=t(i);if(o===!1)return!1;var u=H(i,e),c=V(i,u,n,r),a=k(i,c);return a?!0:fe.accepts(W,i,Q,c)}for(var i=e;i&&!o();)i=v(i);return i}function U(e){function n(e){le.emit(e,f,ae,Q)}function t(){s&&n("over")}function r(){ae&&n("out")}if(J){e.preventDefault();var o=y("clientX",e),i=y("clientY",e),u=o-Z,c=i-ee;J.style.left=u+"px",J.style.top=c+"px";var f=ie||W,l=a(J,o,i),d=q(l,o,i),s=null!==d&&d!==ae;(s||null===d)&&(r(),ae=d,t());var p=v(f);if(d===Q&&ie&&!fe.copySortSource)return void(p&&p.removeChild(f));var m,h=H(d,l);if(null!==h)m=V(d,h,o,i);else{if(fe.revertOnSpill!==!0||ie)return void(ie&&p&&p.removeChild(f));m=re,d=Q}(null===m&&s||m!==f&&m!==g(f))&&(oe=m,d.insertBefore(f,m),le.emit("shadow",f,d,Q))}}function _(e){E.rm(e,"gu-hide")}function F(e){le.dragging&&E.add(e,"gu-hide")}function K(){if(!J){var e=W.getBoundingClientRect();J=W.cloneNode(!0),J.style.width=d(e)+"px",J.style.height=s(e)+"px",E.rm(J,"gu-transit"),E.add(J,"gu-mirror"),fe.mirrorContainer.appendChild(J),o(S,"add","mousemove",U),E.add(fe.mirrorContainer,"gu-unselectable"),le.emit("cloned",J,W,"mirror")}}function z(){J&&(E.rm(fe.mirrorContainer,"gu-unselectable"),o(S,"remove","mousemove",U),v(J).removeChild(J),J=null)}function H(e,n){for(var t=n;t!==e&&v(t)!==e;)t=v(t);return t===S?null:t}function V(e,n,t,r){function o(){var n,o,i,u=e.children.length;for(n=0;u>n;n++){if(o=e.children[n],i=o.getBoundingClientRect(),c&&i.left+i.width/2>t)return o;if(!c&&i.top+i.height/2>r)return o}return null}function i(){var e=n.getBoundingClientRect();return u(c?t>e.left+d(e)/2:r>e.top+s(e)/2)}function u(e){return e?g(n):n}var c="horizontal"===fe.direction,a=n!==e?i():o();return a}function $(e,n){return"boolean"==typeof fe.copy?fe.copy:fe.copy(e,n)}var G=arguments.length;1===G&&Array.isArray(e)===!1&&(n=e,e=[]);var J,Q,W,Z,ee,ne,te,re,oe,ie,ue,ce,ae=null,fe=n||{};void 0===fe.moves&&(fe.moves=l),void 0===fe.accepts&&(fe.accepts=l),void 0===fe.invalid&&(fe.invalid=P),void 0===fe.containers&&(fe.containers=e||[]),void 0===fe.isContainer&&(fe.isContainer=f),void 0===fe.copy&&(fe.copy=!1),void 0===fe.copySortSource&&(fe.copySortSource=!1),void 0===fe.revertOnSpill&&(fe.revertOnSpill=!1),void 0===fe.removeOnSpill&&(fe.removeOnSpill=!1),void 0===fe.direction&&(fe.direction="vertical"),void 0===fe.ignoreInputTextSelection&&(fe.ignoreInputTextSelection=!0),void 0===fe.mirrorContainer&&(fe.mirrorContainer=x.body);var le=b({containers:fe.containers,start:Y,end:D,cancel:A,remove:R,destroy:h,canMove:X,dragging:!1});return fe.removeOnSpill===!0&&le.on("over",_).on("out",F),r(),le}function o(e,n,r,o){var i={mouseup:"touchend",mousedown:"touchstart",mousemove:"touchmove"},u={mouseup:"pointerup",mousedown:"pointerdown",mousemove:"pointermove"},c={mouseup:"MSPointerUp",mousedown:"MSPointerDown",mousemove:"MSPointerMove"};t.navigator.pointerEnabled?w[n](e,u[r],o):t.navigator.msPointerEnabled?w[n](e,c[r],o):(w[n](e,i[r],o),w[n](e,r,o))}function i(e){if(void 0!==e.touches)return e.touches.length;if(void 0!==e.which&&0!==e.which)return e.which;if(void 0!==e.buttons)return e.buttons;var n=e.button;return void 0!==n?1&n?1:2&n?3:4&n?2:0:void 0}function u(e){var n=e.getBoundingClientRect();return{left:n.left+c("scrollLeft","pageXOffset"),top:n.top+c("scrollTop","pageYOffset")}}function c(e,n){return"undefined"!=typeof t[n]?t[n]:S.clientHeight?S[e]:x.body[e]}function a(e,n,t){var r,o=e||{},i=o.className;return o.className+=" gu-hide",r=x.elementFromPoint(n,t),o.className=i,r}function f(){return!1}function l(){return!0}function d(e){return e.width||e.right-e.left}function s(e){return e.height||e.bottom-e.top}function v(e){return e.parentNode===x?null:e.parentNode}function p(e){return"INPUT"===e.tagName||"TEXTAREA"===e.tagName||"SELECT"===e.tagName||m(e)}function m(e){return e?"false"===e.contentEditable?!1:"true"===e.contentEditable?!0:m(v(e)):!1}function g(e){function n(){var n=e;do n=n.nextSibling;while(n&&1!==n.nodeType);return n}return e.nextElementSibling||n()}function h(e){return e.targetTouches&&e.targetTouches.length?e.targetTouches[0]:e.changedTouches&&e.changedTouches.length?e.changedTouches[0]:e}function y(e,n){var t=h(n),r={pageX:"clientX",pageY:"clientY"};return e in r&&!(e in t)&&r[e]in t&&(e=r[e]),t[e]}var b=e("contra/emitter"),w=e("crossvent"),E=e("./classes"),x=document,S=x.documentElement;n.exports=r}).call(this,"undefined"!=typeof global?global:"undefined"!=typeof self?self:"undefined"!=typeof window?window:{})},{"./classes":1,"contra/emitter":5,crossvent:6}],3:[function(e,n,t){n.exports=function(e,n){return Array.prototype.slice.call(e,n)}},{}],4:[function(e,n,t){"use strict";var r=e("ticky");n.exports=function(e,n,t){e&&r(function(){e.apply(t||null,n||[])})}},{ticky:9}],5:[function(e,n,t){"use strict";var r=e("atoa"),o=e("./debounce");n.exports=function(e,n){var t=n||{},i={};return void 0===e&&(e={}),e.on=function(n,t){return i[n]?i[n].push(t):i[n]=[t],e},e.once=function(n,t){return t._once=!0,e.on(n,t),e},e.off=function(n,t){var r=arguments.length;if(1===r)delete i[n];else if(0===r)i={};else{var o=i[n];if(!o)return e;o.splice(o.indexOf(t),1)}return e},e.emit=function(){var n=r(arguments);return e.emitterSnapshot(n.shift()).apply(this,n)},e.emitterSnapshot=function(n){var u=(i[n]||[]).slice(0);return function(){var i=r(arguments),c=this||e;if("error"===n&&t["throws"]!==!1&&!u.length)throw 1===i.length?i[0]:i;return u.forEach(function(r){t.async?o(r,i,c):r.apply(c,i),r._once&&e.off(n,r)}),e}},e}},{"./debounce":4,atoa:3}],6:[function(e,n,t){(function(t){"use strict";function r(e,n,t,r){return e.addEventListener(n,t,r)}function o(e,n,t){return e.attachEvent("on"+n,f(e,n,t))}function i(e,n,t,r){return e.removeEventListener(n,t,r)}function u(e,n,t){var r=l(e,n,t);return r?e.detachEvent("on"+n,r):void 0}function c(e,n,t){function r(){var e;return p.createEvent?(e=p.createEvent("Event"),e.initEvent(n,!0,!0)):p.createEventObject&&(e=p.createEventObject()),e}function o(){return new s(n,{detail:t})}var i=-1===v.indexOf(n)?o():r();e.dispatchEvent?e.dispatchEvent(i):e.fireEvent("on"+n,i)}function a(e,n,r){return function(n){var o=n||t.event;o.target=o.target||o.srcElement,o.preventDefault=o.preventDefault||function(){o.returnValue=!1},o.stopPropagation=o.stopPropagation||function(){o.cancelBubble=!0},o.which=o.which||o.keyCode,r.call(e,o)}}function f(e,n,t){var r=l(e,n,t)||a(e,n,t);return h.push({wrapper:r,element:e,type:n,fn:t}),r}function l(e,n,t){var r=d(e,n,t);if(r){var o=h[r].wrapper;return h.splice(r,1),o}}function d(e,n,t){var r,o;for(r=0;r<h.length;r++)if(o=h[r],o.element===e&&o.type===n&&o.fn===t)return r}var s=e("custom-event"),v=e("./eventmap"),p=t.document,m=r,g=i,h=[];t.addEventListener||(m=o,g=u),n.exports={add:m,remove:g,fabricate:c}}).call(this,"undefined"!=typeof global?global:"undefined"!=typeof self?self:"undefined"!=typeof window?window:{})},{"./eventmap":7,"custom-event":8}],7:[function(e,n,t){(function(e){"use strict";var t=[],r="",o=/^on/;for(r in e)o.test(r)&&t.push(r.slice(2));n.exports=t}).call(this,"undefined"!=typeof global?global:"undefined"!=typeof self?self:"undefined"!=typeof window?window:{})},{}],8:[function(e,n,t){(function(e){function t(){try{var e=new r("cat",{detail:{foo:"bar"}});return"cat"===e.type&&"bar"===e.detail.foo}catch(n){}return!1}var r=e.CustomEvent;n.exports=t()?r:"function"==typeof document.createEvent?function(e,n){var t=document.createEvent("CustomEvent");return n?t.initCustomEvent(e,n.bubbles,n.cancelable,n.detail):t.initCustomEvent(e,!1,!1,void 0),t}:function(e,n){var t=document.createEventObject();return t.type=e,n?(t.bubbles=Boolean(n.bubbles),t.cancelable=Boolean(n.cancelable),t.detail=n.detail):(t.bubbles=!1,t.cancelable=!1,t.detail=void 0),t}}).call(this,"undefined"!=typeof global?global:"undefined"!=typeof self?self:"undefined"!=typeof window?window:{})},{}],9:[function(e,n,t){var r,o="function"==typeof setImmediate;r=o?function(e){setImmediate(e)}:function(e){setTimeout(e,0)},n.exports=r},{}]},{},[2])(2)});
</script>
<style> /*min css from the dragula documentation*/
  .gu-mirror{position:fixed!important;margin:0!important;z-index:9999!important;opacity:.8;-ms-filter:"progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=80)";filter:alpha(opacity=80)}.gu-hide{display:none!important}.gu-unselectable{-webkit-user-select:none!important;-moz-user-select:none!important;-ms-user-select:none!important;user-select:none!important}.gu-transit{opacity:.2;-ms-filter:"progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=20)";filter:alpha(opacity=20)}
</style>

<script> 
  dragula([document.querySelector('#left'), document.querySelector('#right')]);
</script>

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 11.17.30

Then in code you can add components dynamically in the following way:

from ._anvil_designer import DragulaFormTemplate
from anvil import *

class DragulaForm(DragulaFormTemplate):
  def __init__(self, **properties):
    # Set Form properties and Data Bindings.
    self.init_components(**properties)

# Any code you write here will run when the form opens.

for i in range(10):
      self.add_component(Button(text=f'button_{i}', role='raised'), slot='left')

for i in range(10, 20):
      self.add_component(Button(text=f'button_{i}', role='raised'), slot='right')

9 Likes

That’s amazing.

1 Like

That is nice, well done.

1 Like

P.S.

I figure you probably also want to work out when a component has changed position in python this is possible… but requires more leg work… I’ve had a play around and here’s some additional code that will make this happen:
https://anvil.works/build#clone:6IRFB67BBM6WJTS6=XFHHHJKQDMEG56OCJ7HBBC6U

The pseudo code is as follows:

• add the anvil components to the left/right slots as before
  • add the anvil components to a javascript array
  • use the dragula on drop event listener which provides the element, target, source and sibling.
  • use the javascript array to get the anvil component that was dropped, and the sibling component
  • use anvil.call to send these back to python

Javascript in addition to the previous code

drake = dragula([document.querySelector('#left'), document.querySelector('#right')]);

drake.on('drop', function(element, target, source, sibling){
  const anvil_component = get_component(element);
  const anvil_sibling = get_component(sibling);
  anvil.call(element, 'dropped', anvil_component, target.id, source.id, anvil_sibling);
});

var components = [];

function get_component(parent) {
  if (parent === null){
    return
  }
  for(i=0; i<components.length; i++){
    if (components[i]._anvil.element[0] == parent.firstElementChild){
    return components[i];
    }
  }
};

function add_component(component) {
    components.push(component.v)
  };

Python code

class DragulaForm(DragulaFormTemplate):
  def __init__(self, **properties):
    # Set Form properties and Data Bindings.
    self.init_components(**properties)

# Any code you write here will run when the form opens.
    self.left_components = []
    self.right_components = []
    self.slots = {'left': self.left_components, 'right': self.right_components}

# left components add dynamically
    for i in range(10):
      component = Button(text=f'button_{i}', role='raised')
      self.left_components.append(component)
      self.add_component(component, slot='left')

# right components add dynamically
    for i in range(10, 20):
      component = Button(text=f'button_{i}', role='raised')
      self.right_components.append(component)
      self.add_component(component, slot='right')

print(f"{'element':9} | {'from':5} | {'to':5} | {'at_index'}")
    print("="*36)

def dropped(self, element, slot_to, slot_from, sibling):
    self.slots[slot_from].remove(element)

for i, sib in enumerate(self.slots[slot_to]):
      if sib is sibling:
        break
    else: # it was added after the last element so no sibling... 
      i+=1
    self.slots[slot_to] = self.slots[slot_to][:i] + [element] + self.slots[slot_to][i:]
    print(f"{element.text:9} | {slot_from:5} | {slot_to:5} | {i}")

def form_show(self, **event_args):
    """This method is called when the HTML panel is shown on the screen"""
    from itertools import chain
    for component in chain(self.left_components, self.right_components):
      self.call_js('add_component', component)

managed to get itertools in there :wink:

In Action

7 Likes

Thank you so much !! I truly appreciate the amazing effort you have put in to demonstrate this with a live application. It also clarifies so much about the interaction between python and javascript. It will take me a little while to wrap my head around this but this is just great :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

You’re very welcome! Thanks for sharing dragula - it seems perfect for some of my own anvil projects!

Here is some reading that is related and should complement the code:

Creating the HTML template:

https://anvil.works/docs/client/themes-and-styling/custom-html-templates

Working with anvil components in javascript

Select specific component with javascript

When your own project gets to minimal viable product be sure to share it in a show and tell

2 Likes

Hi guys, I have dragula working already. Gonna post it here as soon as I have time to do a small demo app. Maybe end of the week.

4 Likes

Hi @stucork,

Great project thanks for sharing!

I am trying to build upon your code and just tested it on a Windows 10 (Touch Mode) & Chrome 87.
But dragging a button from left to right triggers the back gesture on Chrome. :rage:

There seems to be a quite easy solution: (overwrite the overscroll-behavior)

However, I can’t implement this into the app:

Any Ideas how to get that in there?

Greetings,
Mark

That css should still get added - it just isn’t recognised by the editor as being a valid css identifier.

If you inspect the element with chrome dev tools you should see it on the dragula element as you’d expect.
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 19.53.01

As to whether this fixes the back forward swipe events on mobile devices I’m not sure.

A look at the dragula project github issues suggests that there are a couple of other mobile device issues surrounding touch scroll events. The github issues page might be a good place to go if you still have problems. Though it isn’t clear if the project is still maintained or not.

Hi @stucork,

thanks for the heads up!

The workaround did work, only the editor didn’t get it. :grimacing:

Since I’d like to use the drag and drop for longer I’ll see if can get a different libary to run drag and drop.
I’ve stumbeled upon: https://interactjs.io/

If I get a prototype working I’ll post a demo app.

Best, Mark

2 Likes

FYI: I ended up using a different library but still got some drag and drop working in python:

1 Like