Hier: a task tracking app

Hey, Anvil community!

Need something to track your progress while building your latest app? Try out Hier! It lets you hierarchically track accomplishments over time. We’ve been using it to track progress on Hier itself and at work since early July. It’s great for staying both motivated and organized.

Check out this recent HackerNews discussion about why having a “brag document” is a good idea. We also wrote our own blog post that goes into more detail about how and why to use Hier (click the “Blog” link in the app).

The plan is to use Anvil’s Stripe API to turn Hier into a paid SaaS app fairly soon. We’d love any feedback you have generally, including thoughts on what you would like to see if you were to pay for a task tracker (plus, you’ll never have to pay if you register during the beta).

Looking forward to your thoughts!

https://honorable-diligent-serval.anvil.app

5 Likes

Well, that is awesome!

A couple of suggestions:

• If you set your app to “public”, you won’t get a redirect in your code (and it will be easier to, eg, save your app on the home screen, or type your URL)

• We’d love to tweet about this! Want to go into “Titles and Logos” in the app editor, and set some nice text to appear when you post this URL on Twitter or Facebook?

1 Like

Hey @meredydd! Glad you like it, and thanks for the suggestions!

• I’ve made the app public, and update the post with the new url.
  • We’ve added a description, as suggested. We also (just now) tried testing sharing on Facebook, and the previews look a little funky. But the tweet preview looks good.

But, we’d love if you wanted to tweet (etc.) it!

Very useful and beautiful app. I love it guys.

1 Like

Signed up with both personal and work accounts, it looks very interesting.

1 Like

I got a “This app experienced an error” message when trying to enter feedback through the form near the bottom of the homepage. The message said: “AnvilWrappedError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘encode’”

p.s. The feedback that didn’t get through: What is going to happen if I share to an email address that is not currently registered on Hier? Is it going to trigger an email to them? I’d like to know something about it before I enter someone’s email address there. Thanks!

1 Like

@adamhenry Thanks for the compliments. We’re happy you like the aesthetic!

@aldo.ercolani Awesome! Separate personal/work accounts is the setup I have going too.

@hugetim Thanks for the bug catch and feedback! (I made a last minute change to encode the username, since someone at a UTF-8 username, but forgot to check what happens if the username is None). I’ll get a fix out tonight. If the user doesn’t already have an account, you’ll just get an alert that says ‘There is no user with that email.’ We’ll update the clarity of that form.

Update: Fixes applied.

1 Like

Getting some errors when testing out the note-taking, not sure exactly when.
First, either when saving a day note or clicking on the week in the Date Tree panel:
AttributeError: 'LinearPanel' object has no attribute 'xy_panel'
Then, when clicking different days and editing text:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'parent'

1 Like

Thanks for reporting! Investigating now, but having trouble with the anvil editor. I’ll post again here when I have fixes.

AttributeError: 'LinearPanel' object has no attribute 'xy_panel'

I’ve seen this one before, but not in a while. It seems like sometimes the date tree doesn’t show today’s date. Not sure why.

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'parent'

I checked the logs on this one, and it makes less sense to me. Are you on mobile?

Nope, Chrome on a desktop.

Alright, both of those errors should be fixed now.

1 Like

Great app JK!
I’ve started deving something similar multiple times . .

Paul

@paul.k.pallaghy

Thank you! Were there any particular features you were trying to build in when you were doing it?