Get the selected Checkbox without a column for checkbox in data table

Hello everyone,
Is there a way to get a variable value of each item of a repeating panel? We have the following scenario:
A repeating panel has a certain item template, and the item template contains several fields, one of them is a check box. The data that is displayed in the repeating panel is from a data table. However, the checkbox is not assigned to any data table column. This is not necessary because we only need the checkboxes to let the app user do a selection of the items to be then be exported.

The question is now: How do we get the latest checkbox selection? One way would possibly be to simply create a True/False-Column in the data table to then use item[‘checkbox’] to check if it was selected or not. But this would not be efficient since we would write and read in the data table whenever there is a selection or unselection made without any further purpose. We do not need to store the information about which items are selected. Is there any way of accessing variables in the item-object without using its data binding? Or do you have any other suggestions for getting the selection-information in an efficient way?

Thanks in Advance!

Welcome, @gummadipraveen26.

I do this using an intermediate data structure: a list of dicts. General strategy:

1. Fill the list from the database.
  2. In each list item, add the “temporary” fields.
  3. When attaching data to the display, attach the list, not the database. Data binding was built with this in mind, so it’s easy.
  4. On save, write only the “persistent” fields from the list to the database.
1 Like

Hello here again on this topic (and pardon me for its revival).

I have a slightly different scenario but related here. I have a checkbox in a form that includes other items to extract a search dict to query my data table. I have no problem getting the values of other items within the same form but couldn’t include the value of the checkbox in the final search dict. I tried data binding to the checkbox ‘True/False’ and even hardcoding a value when event checkbox changes…no luck.

Any thoughts how to get around this?

Please don’t revive old posts, no one is going to reply to such an old post.

In order to answer your question we also need more details. A code snippet or a clone link will help.

1 Like

OK. Sorry about that…just thought it’s a related question that deservew no new post title.