[Fixed] TextArea component preview doesn't show content but rather the component name

I was using the “Text Area” component quite a bit, and when I edited the contents of my “Text Area” boxes the text previewed fine in the Anvil Editor. But after a while the “Text Area” boxes started previewing the text boxes by displaying the component name, and not text contents. If I run my app the text is there and displays fine, but in the anvil designer view it does not. Is this intended behavior? It became frustrating having to run my app to see the text I entered for each box.

Here is a link to a test app showing the behavior.

I have four boxes and on my machine at least the four boxes show the name of the component, not the contents, but if you run the app it will show the contents.

Thanks!

Looks like a bug to me. I cloned your app and when I changed the text in the IDE, the text showed up, but only then not when I first loaded the design view.

Interesting. Thanks! Yes I tried doing that as well, I’d edit the boxes just to get my text to display properly again, but after a time it would revert to displaying the component name.

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense considering the design pane updates how it looks according to changes in the UI and maybe on a timer as a backstop. Which is when I would expect this bug to crop back up after applying the workaround.

1 Like

The first time I’m using the forum glad I did thank you. Do you know what if any the process is of getting bugs fixed or where to log them? As I don’t have access to the bugs forum.

But no worries

Thanks Duncan

This is pretty much the place to talk about potential bugs. if it is an actual bug hopefully staff will jump in and confirm and then recategorize it to the bug category.

1 Like

Hi @j.kendall.reid,

Welcome to the community!

Thank you for raising this, you and @duncan_richards12 are correct, it is a bug. I’ve added it to our list.

For future reference, as @duncan_richards12 has said, you can raise bugs in the Q&A category of the forum (as you have with this one) and we’ll check it out. If it’s a bug, we’ll move it to the Bug Reports category and add it to our list.

Thanks,
Ryan

2 Likes

Thanks Ryan. Hi! I should add that I have subsequently tried to use the “Text Box” component and it seems to be happening with those components too. Not sure if there are any others that are also affected.

Interesting, I did test some other components, including the TextBox component but they seem to be working correctly. Here’s me showing the TextArea bug alongside a TextBox which is working correctly:
Screen Recording 2024-07-18 at 13.48.49

If you can give me some reproduction steps for other components, I’ll add them to the list.

I apologize, seems I cant recreate it now. Maybe I am/was mistaken, I had been working long hours. If it does crop up I’ll create another post but yes it seems its just the text area boxes

1 Like