[DONE] Showing form's component hierarchy in IDE -- a simple approach

The IDE’s Properties panel, on the right, begins with a dropdown list, showing every component on the form. They seem to be in random order, but they’re actually not. If you select each component in sequence, and watch the layout pane, you begin to see a pattern.

Components can contain components. When this occurs, the container is listed, followed by its contained components, in sequence. In short, we’re seeing an outline, or tree, of all of the page’s components, but with the level of indentation removed.

I humbly request that the indentation level be displayed. For example, you might indent by 2-4 spaces per level.

This would greatly improve comprehension of the real structure of the form.

It’s also much simpler to implement than providing a full outline (that can expand/contract the non-leaf nodes).

3 Likes

Good request! Expect this to ship early next week.

3 Likes

@p.colbert - what’s your trick for getting something accepted so quickly?

Can you ask for folders to manage projects and project elements (like forms, etc)? :slight_smile:
I’ll give you my telescope…

1 Like

I actually make all my requests through @p.colbert. :wink:

1 Like

@p.colbert - what’s your trick for getting something accepted so quickly?

In this case, "being the other half of a feature we’ve already half implemented ":slight_smile:

(Don’t worry, we do hear you on the folders. It’s just slow going – to make it work properly is requiring some fairly invasive changes to the underlying Python runtime, and careful stepping to avoid creating a compatibility headache.)

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks! :smiley:

I understand why there might be difficulties with user-defined folders. My own situation is a case in point.

Currently, I use your Git integration to get a local copy of my app’s repo and files, e.g., for rename refactoring across multiple files. The tools I use often create backup files in subfolders, e.g., nppbackup, backup, etc. to avoid polluting the main folder. My PC has global gitignore settings, to categorically ignore such folders.

Anvil currently ignores these subfolders. If we allow user-defined subfolders, then some mechanism is needed for us to specify which subfolders to include/exclude from the repo.

And that’s just one of the complications. Also think of the import statement…

I don’t think the folders need any influence over the actual code. I think for now it should just be an IDE organisational thing, so I can group forms together, related server modules, etc.

It’s alive! :partying_face:
Thank you, so much!

2 Likes

I love that you can actually select the components from the list. :tada:

…and released with the usual Anvil trumpets, fireworks and pomp :slight_smile:

Monthly update goes out tomorrow :wink:

1 Like