[Done] Ambiguous forum fonts

Seen recently: If vs lf. Or, from an old Smalltalk reference: doIt vs dolt. I’m sure you can find dozens of other cases in this forum.

We’re all writing code, where precision and accuracy make a big difference. Anywhere that code can appear, including forum topic titles, should not allow such visual ambiguities.

It’s particularly bad with titles, because you can’t copy them into your favorite text editor. Instead, click and drag (to select text in the topic title) opens the topic.

This can be readily fixed with a proper choice of typeface. Unfortunately, typeface is not something I can adjust in my forum Preferences.

Thanks for raising this @p.colbert. The font has been changed to googlefonts/atkinson-hyperlegible (github.com) which is designed to be very readable and unambiguous.

2 Likes

It’s a terrific improvement! I scrolled through over 3 weeks of titles, and could not find any, now, that were difficult to interpret.

Thanks also for listing the font name. I have the potential for a similar problem with my own app, and it will be very good to have a more readable option there, too.

2 Likes

This is something I never thought of but I will also be updating our apps font given that we use Serial Numbers with 0s in them which while by definition should always be 0s and not Os it can be confusing. This font eliminates that completely.

Thank you @p.colbert

1 Like

That’s a much nicer font. I’ve added it to one of my apps and it looks great.

All credit to Ryan for actually sifting through the available fonts. I probably wouldn’t even know where to look!

1 Like