Disappearing Cursor

Sometimes, the cursor disappears in the IDE when editing code.

I managed to reproduce one such instance. Note that the cursor is there at the end of the line when I type the get_open_form(), but after I type (dot) “Home” or “Anything” the cursor vanishes. If I move it back one space it appears, and disappears again when moved forward to the end of the line.

The video below is a trivial example, but I’ve noticed recently it’s happening quite a lot. Makes it hard to know sometimes where you are.

Chrome on Debian 9 : Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

missing-cursor-anvil-1

Good video. What tool(s) did you use to capture it? I’d like to use something similar (under Windows 10) for my tutorials.

I used something called “peek” :

but it’s for Linux only, I’m afraid.

That’s okay. Thanks to you, I’ve got some relevant search terms for Google!

1 Like

Thanks for the report, @david.wylie (moving to Bug Reports).

On the subject of GIF makers, LiceCAP is a good one for WIndows and OSX.

(bump) - this seems to be getting a bit worse (or maybe I’m just using anvil more at the moment) but it’s getting quite hard to edit in anger for me.

Hrm. I have yet to see this on any of our machines!

Just a question: Are you operating “zoomed out” in your browser? (Ctrl+scroll in Chrome) Perhaps the cursor is getting lost that way…

2 Likes

Indeed it is.

This is what I find on chrome :

100% - all ok
90% - disappearing cursor
80% - disappearing cursor
75% and below - all ok.

Not tried FF ytet.

Unfortunately it turns out that it’s very unreliable on anything short of 100%. on Chrome, which makes the screen too big to make editing easy (can’t see enough at any one time).

FF seems a little better, but things like the radio buttons don’t render properly there.

Hardly a show stopper, but anything you could do would be gratefully received.