Design page went blank

thanks both, but I think I’m giving up on anvil.

When I logged back in my design form had been wiped, code remained, but didn’t run meaningfully since no gui form left to interact with it. That’s twice in about 5 hours of using anvil across 4 sessions. It’s probably a bug/interaction with the malware protection on my work laptop, but it does mean I’m not able to rely on not loosing all my work, so it’s back to anaconda IDEs for me, sorry.

Yikes! Uh, losing your designs or code is a thing that should Definitely Never Happen. Can you send me (via PM if necessary) the App Id of an app that it’s happened to? That’s the part of the URL after the #, for example #app:YWLRRZ2Y4CGLVEZE. With your permission, I want to go dig through the logs and find out how on earth that could have happened.

(Separating this off into a thread in Bug Reports. I’m also going to send you an email.)

my (tterrible begginner app) https://anvil.works/build#app:BXWFUCXGOQ2VIVUZ
the workshop one that also vanished towards the end of the workshop: https://anvil.works/build#app:SY7XIUEHUCUEMYFN

i am seeing it all back now. Refreshing at the time didn’t help, opening the workshop one up again a few days later didn’t help, and I think (but am not sure) that i would have used Ctrl+f5 to force a refresh too.

It’s just plain weird. Using: Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hi Pat,

That’s a relief - we thought you’d lost data for good!

Sounds like it’s the same thing you saw in the workshop. At the time I thought that refreshing sorted it out, but it sounds more serious than that.

It sounds similar to this thread - Design tab blank after git push. We think an anti-tracker browser extension called Privacy Badger is getting a false positive on the Design View, so something similar could be happening with your malware software. If you can let us know the name of the anti-malware software you’re running, we might be able to install it for ourselves and reproduce the bug.

If you manage to capture the contents of your browser console or network tab when the issue happens, that’s really useful too (but if we can reproduce it, we can do that for ourselves).

1 Like

Possible workaround - if you have some anti-tracking software that’s blocking any URLs like x.anvil.app, you might be able to whitelist them. That’s what @hugetim did in the related thread.

Not sure what it is. just happened again: https://anvil.works/build#app:7HLI2HR37DG46APX

This time I’m hard wire plugged into the work system, so the particular malware app i’m thinking of is not active.

odd, but at least knowing the app isn’t lost and will reappear again at some point is reassuring.

just to confirm, the app is working again.
My workplace has “we have whitelisted the domain anvil.app which should allow the application to load, the subdomains were being blocked due to being new domains.”

So thankyou for your patience!

2 Likes

That’s great news, sounds like the problem will clear up now. Let us know either way. It’s really helpful that you kept us informed, so we know that this can be caused by domain blocking.

Hi,

I have the same issue, the only way I can restore the app is to copy it and open the new copy, if I close the window and try to open it another time the design page gets blank again!

Any clue?
Thank you

Hi @aabdelrahim,

It looks like the same problem as we see earlier in the thread – either a browser extension or a corporate firewall is blocking the app’s domain (<something>.anvil.app). The <something> is different for every app, and it looks like the blocking process takes a little while to kick in, so each new app you create works for a little while and then gets blocked again!

If you’re at work, I suggest asking your IT department to whitelist the anvil.app domain.

If it’s an extension in your own browser, you should be able to whitelist anvil.app yourself!

1 Like

Thank you @meredydd for answering my question, I will try what you have suggested. Another work around I am using right now is to publish the app and change the link name every time this issue happens.

Thanks!

Hello,

I have some trouble to see my design part of my app, i can only see the code part.

here is screenshot:

I reloaded normal and i reloaded with ctrl + f5 and it is still not working.

Anybody as a clue ?

Going to tag along to this thread. I also have had very very inconsistent connectivity issues to Anvil. I’ve never had any trouble on your main site or forum, but within the app build platform itself I always have the same issue where my code loads fine, but the visual components for each module just remain blank. Trying to run the app, either directly by the Run button in the editor, or via an external shareable link results in nothing at all.

Sometimes it all loads suddenly after a few minutes and is fine, and other times I have had to abort coding for the day because I am not able to do anything, which can be incredibly frustrating. I have been trying to run my app for the last 30 minutes and am still stuck in limbo here, bringing me to this thread. I am most concerned about this because we are almost done with development on our app and it would be worst case scenario if we are pitching a proof of concept and it won’t load for minutes or even at all when we are trying to demo it.

I am using Chrome 84.0.4147.125 as my browser.

Thanks for looking into this a bit more

Hi @e.edson,

Are you on a corporate network? If so, have you tried running it from a machine outside of the network?

Have you also checked for any browser extensions that may block websites?

As Meredydd said earlier in this thread, it sounds like either a browser extension or a corporate firewall is blocking the app’s domain ( <something>.anvil.app ). The <something> is different for every app, and it looks like the blocking process takes a little while to kick in.

Something that has caused this on my browsers is an extension called “Privacy Badger”.

Each project shows on PB as <randomstringID>.anvil.app. You need to set it to “green” (allow this domain).

I found the main issue was the design pages didn’t show if it was set to any other level.

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I connect to a corporate wifi during the day but frequently write code at night on my home wifi network, and I am using my own machine. I haven’t been able to pinpoint a firewall block anywhere, and I whitelisted anvil from my adblocker. I am not sure, it has been running fine the last few days but then it will just be periodically bricked. I will continue to investigate on the firewall end to see if I can find anything there, I appreciate the help and will let you know if I find anything interesting that might help other users on the platform.

Thanks,

Ethan

1 Like

I have the same problem. Definitely not corporate firewall - I work from home. Running Firefox. Started happening about 1 month ago. First time I got it back by accident, by cloning a totally different app. This time Refresh seems to work. But it is very scary when it happens.

Hi @mfleming46,

Have you checked for any browser extensions that may be blocking the apps domain? Does this happen in all browsers or just Firefox?