Datagrid crash in Internet Explorer 11?

Should the Anvil IDE work in IE 11?

I’m getting an error in my app when I run it in IE that doesn’t happen in Chrome or Firefox, so I wanted to run it from the IDE to get a better sense of the lines of code causing the issue. But when I went into the Anvil IDE in IE 11, I get the top bar where I can search help or sign out, but nothing else shows up. No list of apps, nothing.

The IDE is not supported in Internet Explorer - we support using the IDE in Chrome and Firefox. (You should have got a pop-up dialog saying this when you tried to open the IDE in IE11, but from your reaction I’m guessing you didn’t…).

The apps you build, of course, should run in all modern browsers (including IE11), and if they don’t that’s a bug!

I definitely didn’t get a popup when trying to open the IDE in IE 11.

Here’s the error that’s being generated when I run the app in IE 11:

ExternalError: TypeError: [object Object] is not iterable!

I think it’s being caused when I’m using a list comprehension to process data table search results…at least that’s the only odd iterable thing going on when it crashes. I’m also doing some basic searches to populate repeating panel items, but those worked earlier in the app before I got to the point where it had the issue.

Here’s the particular line of code, in case that might spark something:

[r['tag'] for r in app_tables.media_tags.search(tables.order_by('tag'))]

Any advice for getting a line of code out of the error message?

@meredydd It appears to be a straight up bug in IE 11 with the new data grid. I pruned my app down as far as it would go and still see the crash, and it’s down to just a single form that loads a data grid from a data table.

https://anvil.works/ide#clone:ZLNZII22VIJM2RE7=2TE2WEGU554HDSW23LSGPISB

Just bumping this to make sure it was seen. The stripped down app still crashes in IE 11.

If the app works in its own IE tab and doesn’t work only when running in the IDE, then I don’t think it will be fixed.

As far as I know Anvil apps are guaranteed to work on all browsers, while Anvil IDE is guaranteed to work only on Chrome and Firefox.

The app crashes when running in its own tab in ie11. You can try it with the sample app above.

I’d asked about the ide because I was trying to debug the app crash. I’ve updated the subject of the overall post to reflect the actual problem.

Thanks for the report, we’re looking into it. Thanks also for the simplified reproduction case.

I’m sorry it took us a while to get moving on this one!

No worries, I confused things by asking about the IDE.

This appears to be fixed, at least my data grids aren’t crashing in IE 11 anymore. Thanks!