Ctrl+G in IDE doesn't repeat the last search anymore

I just noticed the new welcome Ctrl+G shortcut to find and replace and the even more welcome Ctrl+Shift+F to find a text on all the modules.

I have two requests:

• I lost the (not so) old and very useful Ctrl+G that was repeating the last search. Please add the two search next and search previous match shortcuts.
  • The Ctrl+Shift+F so search on the whole app should show the matches on the yaml files. They are not directly editable by the user, but it often helps knowing that one variable is used in a databinding or that a name is used on a component.

EDIT

• Use the selected text to start the next search when pressing Ctrl+Shift+F
  • Set the focus back to the editor after pressing Esc from the whole app search result
1 Like

Just out of curiosity, @stefano.menci, how did you discover these shortcuts?

1 Like

I just searched the knowledge base and the online docs and couldn’t find anything regarding the existing keyboard shortcuts. Can we please have these added to the docs?

After working with another web app that was using Ctrl+F to find a text and Ctrl+G to repeat the last search, I accidentally used Ctrl+G in Anvil and found out it was working. Yay! This happened a few weeks ago.

Today I tried to use it and it didn’t work, it does the replace text instead. Then I noticed that, after you press Ctrl+F, it says Ctrl+Shift+F to search the whole app, Ctrl+G to replace.

I guess they are working on the IDE right now and some feature started leaking out before the official announcement. So I hurried up and added this feature request hoping that they have time (and desire) to include it during the last tweaks.

I just went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with my app: it kept complaining about an undefined variable and I couldn’t find where it was used.

If the global search had shown the occurrence inside the yaml file I would have immediately realized that it was used in a data binding.

1 Like

Something you might like to try, which we think is even better: If you press Ctrl+Shift+F to search your whole project, you can use the arrow keys to navigate through the search results, and it will remember where you were in them!

(And yes, expanding code search to data bindings would be great!)

1 Like

Data binding and yaml and table names and roles and css and anything that contains useful information, whether is looks pretty or not.

Yes, I have been using the remembered search result since day one, and I love it!

This is one of the things that convinced me to use Anvil’s Git integration to mirror my app(s) on my own PC. Being able to search-and-replace everywhere a name is used, including data bindings, is essential for many kinds of refactorings. Currently, maintaining a local copy of the files, refactoring here, and git pushing the result back to Anvil, is the only way I can do this efficiently.

1 Like