[BETA] - My form is "live" without the app running!

Oddest thing - I have my app in the IDE, and I’m in editing mode (ie the app is not running).

I noticed that I could not select anything to edit, which was strange. But then, in my clicking about, I clicked on a check box (well, the switch from extras) and it toggled!

Here’s a screenshot which should show that I’m in edit mode (dotted lines around things) :

And here is another just having clicked one of those switches :

I can select components using the drop down in the properties panel of the IDE and I can edit the properties then, but I cannot select any of them them by clicking.

I seem to be half “live” and half editing!

Sometimes I can select the Tabulator components by clicking on them, sometimes not. None of the links do anything when clicked, other than they change colour when hovered over (like they would on a running app). So it’s a real mixed bag.

This app used to be fine, so it’s a new thing (though I did think I spotted it sometime previously when I was only half at work over Christmas, but I can’t be sure when exactly).

UPDATE - ok, i think it’s limited to certain forms, the only commonality I’ve found so far is that they all user Anvil Extras components … still digging …

UPDATE 2 - some of the tabulator components on that page are selectable, and some are “live” in that I can change the page size and select the header for sorting (not that there’s any data there as we’re in design mode).

This maybe related to this issue :

Ubuntu 20.4 / Firefox 95.0.1 (64-bit)

Erm…???

I was having the same issue a while back, I ran into it mostly on Firefox.

I am currently using Chrome and have not run into the issue since.

I’m also on Firefox, having moved from Chrome do to the typing lag being unusable.

I’ll give Chrome another go …

@user8 - also, my form is “half live” in that some components are behaving as if the app is still running. Did you see that with yours?

Yes that is exactly what was happening to me.

My download ‘button’ was pulling up the file explorer and text fields were fillable in the IDE. Plus I was not able to modify their properties.

But, the issue did go away by randomly clicking around the form. I suspect it this was related to how I edit the forms/code while my app is running, but not sure if that is the root cause.

Interesting.

I just installed Chromium and it seems to have fixed the issue. I hope the typing speed thing is sorted on chrome now …

Cheers.

I wouldnt count on the typing speed issue being resolved, I still see it a few times a week in Chrome…

If someone can replicate this reliably for us, we would be so happy to squash it. We get periodic reports of slow typing, but we can’t reproduce it on any machine we have access to. (So far it seems to occur exclusively inside locked-down corporate environments where we can’t get a debugger in!).

1 Like

It happens to me usually. Not as common as it was in the first days of the beta, but it stills happens sometimes and I have to kill the Anvil Editor and the GPU process from Chrome Task Manager to fix it.

I can’t say that I can reproduce it always, but it happens commonly. If I can help you find the bug somehow, let me know.

I usually see it when I go on multi hour coding sprees with lots of app runs mixed in. I almkst exclusively use chrome because of my drover being a chromebook, so if there were something I could hook in to gather data, I would be happy to help Anvil solve it.

I’m going to continue this on one of my original slow typing threads as the two issues are separate.

edit - ah, I actually reported it via email a while back, so I’ll start a slow typing thread :slight_smile:

1 Like