[Beta] Improve Git Documenation

It would be nice to be able to delete branches of an app from within the IDE. I can do this from my local copy, but if I didn’t happen to already have a copy of my app when I wanted to delete a branch, I would’ve had to clone it just to delete a branch from my IDE.

You can delete branches from the ide, by right clicking on them.

It’s impossible to delete the master branch and any branch associated to an environment or that currently has a running instance of the app.

And again I’m blind, thanks for pointing that out!

Now that that is handled, I feel like there should be better Documentation for how Git workflows work in the Beta editor. There’s a lot of things going on that is really nice, but its not always so clear where every action lives.

Bear in mind that there are many possible Git workflows, depending on (among other factors):

• the number of developers
  • whether there are other workspaces (local repositories)
  • how environments are developed and assigned

It’s not a one size fits all proposition.

Although, a safe, minimal, bare-bones workflow for the simplest case: the novice Anvil user, who has probably never even heard of Version Control (in general) or Git (in particular), would give them a safe place to start.

Edit: As @stefano.menci points out, a safe workflow may require some changes to BETA’s default behavior.

1 Like

I’m not really talking about documentation for whole workflows, but how to do each modular Git version control thing from the Beta editor with some explanation of what each does. All the buttons are there at some point, but not necessarily easy to find, or to understand when they show and somewhat of a why.

Well, if the information is out-of-context, then the meaning – the “why” and the “how it fits together” – is lost. I see this all over the Internet in “how to do X” material being aimed at people who are still at the stage of “why would I want to do X in the first place?” or even “what the heck is X?”.

Context provides meaning. And for something like Git, context is anything but simple. I’ve yet to see anyone provide a useful frame-of-thought for the situations where Version Control, of any kind, is wanted or used. Descriptions center on the tools and actions, so the whole thing devolves into rote learning – the kind most easily forgotten.

That said, such a framework is probably well beyond the scope of anything Anvil should provide… But their current docs do a fair job of connecting tools with the context (situations) where you might use them. In that, there is hope.

1 Like