[Beta] Customizing sender domain

Does the new editor allow to customize the sender domain on the email service?

I am working on an app created with the old editor.
The app already had the custom domain defined when it was migrated to the new editor.

Now I am trying to add the email service, but it doesn’t use the app custom domain by default and I can’t customize it.
It looks like the Click here to customise the domain settings for this app button doesn’t work:

Moving to Bug Reports, thanks for catching this!

I just ran across this as well, in an app that’s using environments so I can’t edit the email customization in the Classic editor.

Is there any work around until the Beta editor supports these settings?

1 Like

@jshaffstall & @stefano.menci To clarify, is the situation here that you have configured a custom domain and the emails are not being sent from that domain but rather from the default Anvil string-of-letters-and-numbers? Also, are either of you using custom SMTP settings?

(For what it’s worth, the button that doesn’t do anything right now will, when fixed, bring up the ‘Publish’ dialogue box.)

That was my issue, the button wasn’t doing anything.

Knowing that it will go to the Publish dialogue box, I guess that opens up more questions about how the Email service is supposed to work with environment domains. My Email service lists only the default auto-generated sender domain, even though my environments use two other domains.

My app correctly sends emails from the custom domain, but this page shows a different domain and the button that allows to check and modify the configuration doesn’t work.

• The button does nothing - this is clearly a bug
    The app id is included in the default sender domain instead of the configured custom domain - I think this is wrong, or at least incomplete and confusing

I would like for the button to work and for the description to include the custom domain already configured.

@stefano.menci thankyou for the clarification! I’m glad the functionality seems to be working as it should; we’ll get the UI fixed to reflect reality.

@jshaffstall :

Knowing that it will go to the Publish dialogue box, I guess that opens up more questions about how the Email service is supposed to work with environment domains. My Email service lists only the default auto-generated sender domain, even though my environments use two other domains.

That I can answer! Whatever environment your code is running in will (should) determine the domain from which it is sent, which is also something that should be made clear in the UI when we update it.

1 Like

I found out about this recently, when, from the app console, I tried to test the a server function that sends emails and found out that the sender domain wasn’t the custom domain. The app console is not running on my custom domain, so the emails were sent with the original app url.

1 Like