BETA: Accurate database nomenclature

This is meant as constructive criticism. I’m spotting missing (or misplaced) information, and, to avoid confusion and the resulting developer errors, suggesting how to remedy it. My aim is to improve developer comfort, productivity, and reduce the time everyone spends on (avoidable) tech support calls.

Confusing inaccuracies
When I ask to see my Database Schema, I see this at the top:

The “source code” of my App has several Environments, and several Schemas, and several Branches, all valid. So this wording is downright incorrect. And that is (needlessly) confusing.

To resolve the confusion, we need a clear statement of the context that this assertion comes from.

1. What are the assumptions?
  2. Just as importantly, what is the source of the assumptions?
    • If it’s based on a specific Branch, then that needs to be stated.
    • If it’s based on a specific Environment, then that needs to be stated.

Knowing the source tells us where to go, to fix the problem, when we discover that the assumptions need to be corrected.

Explicit is better than implicit. – GvR

Related, but less-critical
I should also add that the Schema display is two-column, but this is not apparent here – unless you happen to scroll down and see

What’s in the rightmost column, if it is at all important, should appear at the very top of the column. In its current position, it’s too easily missed.

2 Likes

I would add that it would be nice to improve the ability of comparing the result when those different assumptions change.

For example rather than saying “here is the schema for database x, environment y, branch z”, I would either list all the permutations on a long page, or make those 3 assumptions drop downs, so one can change branch/database/environment and see what changes in the schema.

There is already a handy dropdown to change the branch, at the top of the Version History panel. The content of the page should update when changing the branch, and it should also update when changing database, environment or any other parameter that affects it.

2 Likes

Excellent point. Stale info → bad decisions → bad actions → irrecoverable situations.

1 Like