anvil.server.RuntimeUnavailableError: Downlink disconnected 2022

I’m trying to remedy this error that has been occurring frequently.

anvil.server.RuntimeUnavailableError: Downlink disconnected

It’s happening more frequently and I am not sure where to start.

I think it has to do with over allocation of memory or something causing the Python environment to restart.

I’m really lost regarding an approach to understand what is happening and an approach to remedy this issue.

Where do you get the error?
Form, server, uplink…
When do you get it?

I get the error from the WebApp front end using the app, in the server log while users are accessing the app or when a http callback occurs.

I haven’t pinned down any specific time that the error occurs. It’s intermittent.

I was seeing that prior to this issue being resolved. Are you still seeing it since then?

Yes. Today I am seeing this.

1 Like

Hi @J11,

It does appear that your Full Python 3 server environment is running out of memory and getting shot down. I notice that you don’t have “Keep server running” selected for your app, which may help, but I’ve also temporarily increased your memory limit so we can narrow down the issue. If memory is indeed the limiting factor here, you should see these failures reduce. Please update this thread to let us know!

Thanks Ian!
I’m trying to identify a pattern.

It looks like the first error is a memory error followed by downlink disconnected error which occurs for a couple of minutes.

I’ve enabled keeping the server running too.

I’m also working on optimizing my code. The only thing that has changed when the error started occurring is an increase in the user count / volume.

Hi @J11

How have things been for the last few days? Any change in the frequency of these errors?

The Downlink Disconnected error occurred yesterday on two separate occasions.

The first error cluster is preceded by a single user triggering a large amount of HTTP requests at the same time.

I can see how this can overload the server and cause a reset.

What does it actually mean when the Downlink is Disconnected?

I have a solution to handle the massive set of requests.

1 Like