Why is this in the docs if it doesnt work?

Anvil Docs | CSV and Excel import

following this exactly…

so the question remains. How does one load a local excel spreadsheet into anvil tables? I’ve tried both ways listed. Via the server code as I have a paid subscription and via the uplink protocol. It doesn’t work.

do you have a clone? Because this most definitely works in my application.

Pasting a screenshot makes it impossible for us to copy and paste and test your code.

Please paste a clone link or the code itself. Here are a few tips for how to ask a question that will get an answer: How to ask a good question

My point is that no one will be able to answer a question asked with snapshots.

If you want anyone to be able to answer to your question, you need to give us something we can work with.

EDIT
I don’t think the code matches the documentation, but even if it did and the problem was on the documentation, we need to be able to verify by checking your code.

1 Like

well thats interesting that a copy and paste wouldn’t match the code from the documentation… but hey. I guess in some worlds that’s possible. . but thanks… ill figure it out eventually…

Are you okay? I see the highlighting in your imagining.

Could I help you ?

1 Like

Thousands of users before you tried that tutorial and didn’t have problems.

Often beginners make a mistake during copy and paste or have the wrong settings.

Sometimes (very rarely) there are updates that break the tutorials and it’s good to keep an eye on them and fix them.

If you signed up to ask for help, I tried to help you so you can ask for help. If you follow the directions in the post about asking good questions, you will get some help.

If you signed up just to complain, enjoy. But don’t expect any help any time soon.

1 Like

yeah… ill pass on the help from anvil… thanks though

Seems like a very simple question turned out that I am the one making the mistakes and I’m complaining… so ill just STFU and figure it out alone…

Cheers.

Ravens I hope you’re doing okay.

I can tell by your edits (I saw the original post and changes), that you can tell how the language you chose, was coming off. Coding is frustrating at times and this community has been very helpful, but you have to approach it humbly.

Also, implying mass shootings to elicit a response is not appropriate.

I do hope you feel better and I would definitely be willing to help if you want to try agian.
:slight_smile:

wow… just wow

mass shootings (from the violence project) is the data that I am currently working on NOT attempting to illicit a response. the fact that you even think this is beyond my comprehension.

so yeah. With this mentality… i do believe I will refrain from this community. As apparently everything seems to be taken the wrong way

I assumed they were just analyzing data on mass_shootings, nothing else.

I’m going to close this thread. We all get frustrated when something is not working as we expect. It is important to remain civil and respectful, though, especially towards people who are volunteering to help you.

1 Like

@ravens2082 this is a bit late to the party, and welcome to the forum,

I’m going to assume it’s a timeout error due to a lot of data.

One thing you might try is using the new Accelerated Tables option
If you’re using the Accelerated Tables option there’s a new add_rows which will be a lot faster for this kind of operation.

You should be able to just replace the last part:

for d in df.to_dict(orient="records"):
      app_tables.your_table_name_here.add_row(**d)

with

app_tables.your_table_name.add_rows(df.to_dict(orient="records"))

If, on the other hand, it’s not a timeout error, feel free to start a new thread and report the error you’re seeing, so that we can improve the documentation we provide.

2 Likes