Results appear on Notebook but not on the Webapp

What I’m trying to do: I am developing a machine learning model for school which recommends 5 books based on a book title that the user inputs. The model is ready in my Jupyter Notebook. Now I am trying to make the Webapp for it

What I’ve tried and what’s not working: I connected anvil with my notebook. I set up the code in Anvil, but I feel like I am missing a small detail. This is how the webapp works:

The user writes the book name, presses ENTER and the 5 recommended books should appear where “result_books” is, but it doesn’t. Instead, the results appear on my Jupyter notebook.

This is my notebook code:
@anvil.server.callable
def reco(book_name):
book_id=np.where(book_pivot.index==book_name)[0][0]
distances,suggestions=model.kneighbors(book_pivot.iloc[book_id,:].values.reshape(1,-1))
for i in range(len(suggestions)):
if i==0:
print("the suggestions for ",book_name,"are : ")
if not i:
print(book_pivot.index[suggestions[i]])

This is my code in Anvil:
def name_box_pressed_enter(self, **event_args):
“”“This method is called when the user presses Enter in this text box”""
self.result_books.text = anvil.server.call(‘reco’, self.name_box.text)

I’m fairly new to this, and I think I’m missing a very small detail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clone link:
https://anvil.works/build#clone:7ODSHXN4BOBJOLIW=TA76LO5S2PCTBQTGOIVBX3TI

1 Like

Welcome! Formatting your python code like the post here describes would make it easier to follow.

I think you just need to have the ‘reco’ function ‘return’ the suggestions being printed out. That is, at the end of your function code, convert your suggestions list into a string and return that.

1 Like

I tried doing this:

but it still only appears on the notebook and not the webapp, and the books aren’t separated by any commas now…

I’m really lost.

This is how the original code looks like, with the return.

It looks like there is no return in your python function, so nothing is being returned to the Anvil app. You could try this:

@anvil.server.callable
def reco(book_name):
    book_id=np.where(book_pivot.index==book_name)[0][0]
    distances, suggestions = model.kneighbors(book_pivot.iloc[book_id,:].values.reshape(1,-1))
    for i in range(len(suggestions)):
        if i==0:
            return f"The suggestions for {book_name} are: ")
        if not i:
            return book_pivot.index[suggestions[i]]
1 Like

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately that didn’t work either. I fiddled with the python code for a few hours and this is what gave me the result I wanted. Decided to share it incase someone else encounters a similar issue. All I did was convert the return function into a numpy array: