Provide explicit ways to prevent concurrency

1. Is when the tick event is fired, in the middle of the event there is a server call or you call time.sleep(0) or other blocking code, and the control goes back to the event loop.

2. Is when the tick event is fired, the event does whatever it needs to do, after it ends, the control goes back to the event loop.

I thought you were referring to 3. because you were talking about 5 second intervals.

If you really are talking about 3., where you want to “freeze” something (the form, some data structures, …), while a timer keeps ticking until something happens, then you can’t use a context manager across two executions of the tick event.

If you are talking about 2., then… are you looking for a way to say “I’m going to use blocking code, please don’t execute anything else until I’m done”?

In this case a context manager would make sense, but… there is the risk that if you have a communication problem the app becomes unresponsive. I guess the context manager will have a timeout and eventually abort the transaction and return to normal, so no, there is no problem with that. I like it.

No, since I didn’t understand the request, I thought about how to prevent stuff from happening when you don’t want it to happen. Disabling each single component would be a nightmare as @p.colbert mentioned. I think that it would be easier to focus on what you want to keep enabled.

Basically instead of saying “do not execute any code until I say so” (your request) I was suggesting “do not fire events on any non-whitelisted component” (my self.enable_events_only_in).

Using a context manager is more elegant and water tight, using a whitelist could leak some code execution that is already pending, but could be used across two executions of two tick events.

Sorry, I didn’t want to hijack your request. I thought you were asking for some more advanced ways to create concurrent processes.

1 Like