Pico support as library instead of firmware?

I suspect that the answer is no, but it would be nice to be able to add anvil support to the Pico as a library using some 3rd party firmware instead of the Anvil firmware.

For example I’d like to use Pimoroni Pico firmware in order to be able to use the Pico Display.
Or, even better, as soon as Adafruit releases a version of CircuitPython that supports the Pico W, I’d use that firmware as a starting point.
In both cases I would like to use Anvil as well, hence the wish for a library.

I just watched the podcast with @meredydd yesterday about this topic. They had to add support for TLS to make the anvil uplink work safely.

Out of the box many of the standard firmwares do not support this without many tweaks that they were worried about having to have users configure correctly. (If they failed, there would be security holes in both directions)

If those instructions could be put somewhere for advanced users, I’m sure it could be possible.

I am going to move this topic to Feature Requests.

Oh I forgot to add this if anyone is interested, here is the post about the podcast:

1 Like

Thanks!

BTW I’d be surprised if the Circuitpython people would not be interested in the patches. I like Circuitpython for its great hardware support.

The patches are (hopefully) going upstream into Micropython, which means that CircuitPython will pick them up. In the meantime, @ianbuywise, those “instructions for advanced users” are to build Micropython with the changes from our pull request (linked from the announcement & how-it-works posts).

The other good news for @mjmare is that (sssshh) actually most of the Pimoroni features are already built into the Anvil firmware, so you may find that your display just works! :wink: (You may have noticed me driving a Pimoroni Inky display during my Pi Cast appearance.)

2 Likes

The other good news for @mjmare is that (sssshh) actually most of the Pimoroni features are already built into the Anvil firmware, so you may find that your display just works!

It actually does! Great!

1 Like