Need higher subscription Limits

New to Anvil and Python for that matter here…Really love the WYSIWYG web-based IDE (reminds me of Visual Basic IDE), and how easy it is to use the Anvil hosting. However, I am surprised at how low the limits are on data table rows and number of emails per month. Almost unusable for commercial use.

I would think that adding a zero to each limit would make it more inviting. Failing that maybe working with web hosts to have an Anvil Server option.

Best,

Tom D.

What are the limits that you find too low?

What do you mean?

Stefano,

I had provided my suggestions in my original message: “I would think that adding a zero to each limit would make it more inviting. Failing that maybe working with web hosts to have an Anvil Server option.”

The limits are ok for developing, but seem to be too low to allow entrepreneurs to scale. I am assuming that most would choose the Professional subscription, but if their application served any type of marketing functions. Let’s take a simple example: 1 App that manages realtor leads and email campaigns. In this case, both table row limits and email monthly limits will be grossly insufficient. If they were too choose higher levels then the costs may be prohibitive (they would not be able to compete with like products). That is my humble opinion.

Tom D

My humble opinion is different :slight_smile:

Anvil offers all you need for most common cases and leaves the door open for integration with specialized services when what’s included is not enough.

The database that comes out of the box is not the largest, the fastest or the most flexible. But it covers most of the cases. Not all of them, but most of them.

The same goes for email quota. Most users find it very generous.

If you look at the forum, you will see that some users want larger or faster databases, and they use specialized services external to Anvil and they are very happy with that. And other users need more emails and they use other specialized services for that too.

In some cases the free tier of those specialized services is larger than what’s offered with Anvil on paid tiers, but that’s just because you can’t compare the pricing of one service with the pricing of Anvil that includes many services.

I’m not paying for an email or database quota, I’m paying for an environment that makes me waaay more productive than anything else I have tried out there, while leaving the freedom to use external services when what’s included isn’t enough.

This was your first post, welcome to the forum!

If you joined the forum because you were trying to send millions of emails rather than because you were trying to be productive when creating web apps, then I’m afraid you are out of luck.

If you joined because you want to explore Anvil, then stick around and you will see that the limitation on a few of the services offered are not crippling.

4 Likes

Given you can easily hook up your own, any flavour, database and custom smtp, as well as using the app server which is open source, there’s no restriction by default. In the managed service packages, the limits are pretty generous in context - namely you are buying anvil’s benefits package, which includes the baked in secure by design functionality. I think your request has already been catered for and then some.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Not knocking Anvil in any way. I think it is awesome. I have only looked at it for a few hours, but wondering if there was a way to add to limits in the future without having to move to Business+ while I am still experimenting. I did run the feedback example through my smtp server and it was so easy!

Now I am looking at external database option, but it may take a bit more work. I would have liked the DB hosted with my app for ease of development and performance. BTW, read about how professional manages diff environments and databases and that is so perfect.

I have a dedicated plan, so no limit on the size of the database, plus I have access to sql. It’s limited, but it allows me to make join queries.

I always thought that one day I would need to switch to an external database so I would have control over indexes, triggers and other fancy features, but after 5 years I’m still happy with the Anvil tables. Ain’t broken, don’t fix it!

Don’t forget that the Anvil database is used by other services, like the Users service, so switching database would mean either managing users by yourself (I don’t want to do it) or having the users table on Anvil and other tables on a separate database.

2 Likes

I think it is important to note that you do not have to have an account AT ALL! Anvil has made their framework 100% Open source. You can install it on your own server and do whatever you want. I haven’t taken this step (not knowledgable enough), but its possible.

Some awesome people have even made tools to streamline the process.

3 Likes