Moving Beyond Anvil (General Discussion)

Definitely appreciate your input Rufus, it’s great to hear from people who have already trodden paths that I am currently looking to be going down. I agree with your conclusion regarding Anvil’s UI needs more massaging as you go on and it makes managing things hard. I haven’t gone as far as rewriting the Bootstrap classes, but definitely struggle to wrap my head around it and the best way to approach issues

Based on suggestions here, Flutter seems to be the UI framework that I am leaning towards. Having an easily multi-platform UI is important to me, a solo dev doesn’t have time to consider the myriad of screen sizes and devices that need to be supported. It also seems to have a myriad of packages and plenty of community support, and seems to solve some specific UI problems I will have. I imagine the best way forward would be to slowly replace my Anvil apps with Flutter apps, but I definitely will continue to use the backend framework that I’ve built for my systems, that Anvil supports. I’m unaware of how flutter differs from perhaps React or Vue as I have essentially zero UI experience, but this feels like the natural progression that needs to happen

One thing I’ve come to realise is that I need to simply focus on the now and not look too far forward with all this, its easy to get lost in the sauce and go around in circles for days with things that appear super helpful or look good, but in the long run don’t achieve anything. Definitely don’t have time for that!

Appreciate all the responses, its given me plenty to think about

2 Likes