How do I clone Anvil-Extras?

I would like to clone Anvil-Extra and play with it, but I only found out how to clone the git repository from github, not how to clone the app itself.

The documentation, the repository and the announcement in the forum don’t mention the app clone link.

It is intended to be used as a third party dependency, but I would like to see and play with it in the IDE

You can clone the repo locally and then push it to anvil.

How?

If I clone from github, then it will push back to github.

Am I missing something?

Create a new anvil app, add it as a remote and then force push

(sorry if this is not super helpful. I only have my phone for now)

It depends on what you’re wanting to play with, but I created this independent Anvil Extras Demo (with a clone app link) with this kind of purpose in mind: Anvil Extras Demo

1 Like

You can follow the steps here which will achieve the same thing.
https://anvil-extras.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/installation.html#install-as-a-clone

2 Likes

I tried following the steps in the documentation for enterprise installation, but I got this error:

C:\workspace\Anvil\Anvil Extras>git fetch github
Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '140.82.113.3' to the list of known hosts.
git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

I cloned the git repository from github and I’m able to fetch it on its own folder, but I’m not able to fetch it to the folder I setup following your instructions.

I ended up with cloning both app and github repositories in two different folders, copying everything from the github to the app folder, committing and pushing.

1 Like

That sounds like a problem using ssh with github. Have you setup your ssh key and tested that it works ok? When you clone the repo from github were you using ssh or https?

I don’t know what I was using and I don’t remember setting up anything.
You can see what command I used in my post.
As I said, I can clone and fetch from github, I just can’t if I follow the instructions.

Was I supposed to set something up before?

I do remember git asking for the Anvil password during a 2-3 month window every time I pulled or pushed Anvil apps about 2 years ago. I don’t know why it started asking for the password and I don’t know why it stopped. I guess I configured something and it restarted working, but I don’t remember what I did.

The instructions use ssh, so you need to have set that up at github (you can follow the Github instructions for that)

We should probably add something to our docs to make that clear.

3 Likes

Just a heads up - this link is broken

1 Like