Disable Warnings in Console

I know this was a popular feature request to add warnings to the Console as well. But sometimes, they get in the way of my debugging process and make it hard to actually find the statements I am looking for (Thanks to my previous browser that decided to autofill all events in Anvil Designer)

So basically, please provide an option to disable the warnings in the Settings. It will make things easier for me.

Thanks

What warnings are you talking about?

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. I am talking about this

I’d be curious to hear what others think of this feature request.

These statements only appear when working in the IDE.

Original feature request:

I understand that many users actually want it. And I do not wish for Anvil to remove this feature. I only want Anvil to provide the option of disabling it if you do not wish to see them. Maybe an option to toggle it in the Look & Feel settings.

As long as the default is to continue showing warnings, I suppose I don’t care if there’s an option to disable them.

Although quite why I might choose to disable warnings rather than take a few minutes to fix the problem they’re warning me about is beyond me.

3 Likes

I’m all for configurable options in general, as everyone works differently. Just so long as the defaults are sensible (and probably reflect settings as they are now).

This particular one? I’m not so sure. I feel it might lead to an increase of “this used to work now it doesn’t and I haven’t touched anything” posts.

I suppose you could have an option to reduce the output to a single “Warning! You are trying to attach events to non-existent components. Uncheck xxx option to see details.” This would stop the debug window filling up whilst still warning you. Whether this is worth the dev. time or not …

Just my tuppence.

5 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. Warnings are helpful to me too. But not at all times. Sometimes, I will rather not like interruptions in the middle of my important print statements. Although I agree that this thing should not be disabled by default.

And it is okay with me if Anvil doesn’t make this request their first priority and focus on some of the must-have features first.

1 Like

I understand @divyeshlakhotia’s frustration with those invasive warnings, but when somethings bothers me 100 times a day and it would take me 1 minute to fix it (and fixing it would be the right thing to do anyway), I take that 1 minute and fix it.

If we want to change something, I would make the warnings more usable by making them links similar to the ones from databinding errors. But this would cut that 1 minute in the life of an app down to 30 seconds, so…

Making the warnings optional could be useful to some (obviously, otherwise we wouldn’t be here talking about it), but I feel like David:

Before adding an option we need to weigh the usefulness vs the increase in complexity. In this case both weights are very little, so I will cast a very little vote against that option.

1. You make a point. It’s just a very minor request. If it comes with some cons, it’s not something worth having.

2. How will links even work? Since the events are all assigned in the design, they all will link to init, right?

This feature doesn’t seem to be worth a serious discussion. So I think we can just keep this aside until someone comes with a particular case on why this feature is worth having (Because I don’t have one)

Thanks