Are you customising the Users Service?

@bridget Yes… I’ve been using the same ugly customisation every time I’ve used Anvil. (“ugly”: As in I’m annoyed every time I work with it because its a clumsy workaround compared to other implementations I’ve used/built.)

In the era of increased privacy concerns, GDPR compliance, and deeper integration with third party services requiring OAuth Credentials… I’m just not interested in building any of that stuff myself when services like Auth0, Okta, KeyCloak, etc, do it for me. I can let the user create an Auth0 account with whatever credentials/social method they like, then when it comes time to correlate their account with Discord, Patreon, Twitter, or whatever else I need, I can redirect them through Auth0 to securely manage that and then just request tokens as I need them or the user data I need directly from the from Auth0 user profile data.

As I mentioned Supporting Auth0.com and/or OpenID Connect? , I was sad to see that I couldn’t finally just do this the right way when Anvil open sourced the server, and I continue to be frustrated by the entire Users/Authentication experience with Anvil.

I’m also not the only one looking for this experience to be better.

• https://anvil.works/forum/t/more-oauth-third-parties/4614 (I can’t post more than 2 links.)